babysitting someone elses kids.....

okay i am a stay-home-mom, i take care of my newphews my brother pays me a good amount of money for the two boys. my concern is one of my friends wants me to babysit he kids also however i told her i would need 20$ per kid a day so she has only brought over one out of four kids but lately she has been bringing all four of them over and she hasnt asked me if it was okay that day and she hasnt paid me how do i bring it up to her with out being mean because feeding 6 kids and counting my kids is hard they go thro a lot of food and i cant apply for any state help for food i go shopping almost every week....what should i do?

RIP.Caleb

Asked by RIP.Caleb at 1:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• You absolutely have to talk this over. You are being taken advantage of. You already have told her your fees so you should be able to start the conversation easily. Stand up for yourself and be strong. Good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I agree with elizabr, you have to find it within yourself to bring this up. Start by saying "I know we never finalized the arrangements with the kids the first time we talked about it, but...." It does sound to me like she may be taking a little advantage of you. Good luck.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• thank you very much
    RIP.Caleb

Comment by RIP.Caleb (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Absolutely, you should bring it up at the next pick-up time. Obviously, it would be hard to stand there at the front door in the A.M. asking for $80, but telling them at the night pick-up gives them time to plan for the next day. Good luck! :) I like LuvMyFam6's wording choice. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• you told her your rates. End of story. If she can't pay, she doesn't need to EXPECT you to feed her kids. $20/day is not alot. I pay $40/day.
    Spazz0828

Answer by Spazz0828 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You need to just say "I cant keep feeding all of your kids withyou not paying me. I do not have the money. So either you have to start paying me the full amount I asked for or we can make it cheaper and you can pack them food and send it with them." You have to be honest and straightforward. If you arent she will assume it is fine.

Certain states also haave limits of how many kids you can watch without becoming a licensed daycare provider so it may not even be legal in your state for you to have 6 or 7 kids there.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If you are going to watch that many kids you should check and see what the laws are regarding home babysitting and also for income, and check with your home insurance coverage too. I grew up with a neighbor who did home babysitting and she got caught not reporting her income to the IRS and also for having too many kids (she was not a licensed daycare provider).
    As to your friend you may want to call her and say "I wanted to catch you before you brought the kids over, I need to finalize some things with you. We never did discuss how many kids you would be drop off, and also we need to discuss payment arrangements- for services already done and for the future. If you want me to feed the kids I will need to charge extra or you can pack food for all your kids and send it with. "
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Call your local child care resource and referral agency and ask them for help with possibly becoming a licensed family child care provider. You may being breaking the law by having that many children in your home. They should be able to help you and answer any questions you have. I know where I live in NY state you would be considered an illegal child care provider and could be subject to a fine. You don't mention what state you're in but do a google search for child care regs. in your state. Good Luck and don't let people take advantage of you, stand your ground and say you need to be paid for all of the children in attendance. Possibly offer a multi child discount but don't watch children for free.

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 4:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You definitely need to bring it up to the friend. Next time she is bringing over all four of her kids to you ask her if she wants to pay you $80 right then or does she want to do it when she picks them up. Basically assume that she is going to pay for all four of them and just ask when and how she wants to pay. If she starts to say something about not paying you for all of them tell her that you can reduce the rate if she provides the food for them. Or something similar to that.
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 4:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010