I need some other mommies opinions and tips on my potty training plan, please!!

My daughter will be two next month and I want to start seriously potty training then. I have three rewards (she goes three to five times a day on the potty).

I have a snack jar (sucker, gummi bears, cookies), a little piggy bank (she gets a coin and can spend all the money on toys and underwear after she is done potty training), and stickers and a little poster outside the bathroom for her to stick them on. Should I let her pick which she wants after she goes and risk her picking candy each time? Or tell her which she can have if she goes as I sit her down and risk it not being the thing that she will want to go for?

So basically the question is: Who should decide which of the three rewards she gets and how should I rotate them??

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• You decide three times, you rotate them, then let her decide one time. Then start over. Don't overthink it. Sounds like it won't be long before she done anyway. Good luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Personally I think your system sounds a bit too complicated. Let her pick out some "big girl" panties before you start. She gets to wear those instead of diapers because she is learning to use the potty (of course talk about how you don't pee/poop in big girl panties etc.) Choose one little reward for using the potty. For my DS it was m&ms. Every time he went on the potty he got an m&m. So YOU decide now, before you start. Will the reward be a candy? a sticker? etc. Pick one and just use that one.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We decided what they did on the potty decided what they got. So for us it was 1 snack (something we don't normally give that they like but not always sweets) for Peepee & 2 snacks (or one bigger snack) for poopoo. I always let them pick out their own sticker and put it on the chart themselves. Made them feel accomplished and in control. (I was training my two oldest with this 2&3 years at the time. My 3 year old was speech delayed, but she caught on after we did this) good luck with training your doing great!
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Oh yeah I forgot, I weaned them off diapers at the same time. When they became successful a few times I rewarded them with "fancy big girl princess chonies" as they were named and refused to put them in diapers because they were big now. We had a few accidents but it wasn't long before they were completely trained. You probably don't have long before she is trained either.
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Answer to your question you should choose. I am not sure about about rotation. Its been my experience girls are way easier to potty train! I have potty trained 3 so far. My 3rd finally started totally going to the potty only just last week. He will be 3 august 6th! My oldest wasn't fully potty trained til he was almost 4! But then my girl potty trained herself. All I did was put big girl panties on her and bam she was trained at alittle over 2. Your system may work or it may not. This last go around I bribed with MnM's muhahahaha
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2010