Would you let your 4 year old run around the park alone?

The 4th of July should be about your family I would hope. I had a little boy following us around the park asking to be pushed on the swing then wanting a soda. Another older girl asked my 6 year old to ask me for money. I share don't get me wrong but when asked where their parents were they pointed over to the beer tent. WTF??? Is it unreasonalble to think they should be taking care of their own kids??

TinaP0223

Asked by TinaP0223 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Holidays

• When I hear something like this it just sickens me. If I could not see their Parents, I would have called the Police. Let the Police come and find the Parents and embarrass them in front of everyone else. If the Parents were drinking heavily then most likely they drove home drunk too. How pathetic is that?? As far as them asking for money, I would have mentioned that to the Police as well, that the poor kids are begging. I never let my DS out of my site nor more than a few steps away from me when we are in a pubic place. Places & events like that can attract people who are looking to do harm to children. When there is a lot going on and children everywhere, it only takes a second for a child to be taken and 4 years old is still a baby. Next time call the Police. If you can't see the Parents, they can't see their child.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Some parents just plain old suck.. that makes me so sad to hear things like that as I can't imagine letting Max run around unsupervised like that.. ESPECIALLY at 4 I mean, Come on.. but I see it often!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• This is how children get abducted!!! The parents should always have control of them.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Just another example of terrible parenting, imo! At our local pool, there is a mother who drops off all 4 of her kids. The oldest one is 6 or 7, the youngest is 2! The other parents at the pool keep an eye on them, but should they have to? She'd be the first one to bit** if something happened to any of them while at the pool!
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• nope, they should take care of their own kid
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think some parents find their children obligations. Though being a parent is very tasking YOU still made the decision to have that child so take care of them. Nuff' said?
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 2:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think a four year old should be supervised altogether. They may get misled by total strangers and even kidnapped or even hurt. They need a responsible adult with them. These are all worse case scenarios only.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You want them to watch their kids??? Come on now.... Be real... I hated going to parks on major holiday for that reason they feel other people will watch them.
    sillyme85

Answer by sillyme85 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• In that sense, no, I wouldn't let my child run around the park alone.
    However, I have let him have free reign while I kept a close watch... I'm too paranoid for him to be doing that while I'm huddled away, drinking beer.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Nope.. that is very aggravating. My next door neighbor had her granddaughter for a week.. Yesterday was the first day she had her.. Well when my daughters and I got out of the shower and got ready for our day we went outside to play.. This little girl comes over to our house to swing with my girls. She was asking for food and drink..which I gave her because it was snack time for my daughters. I look over and the grandmother is nowhere to be found & the step-grandfather is on the front porch, totally smashed, with three of his drunk friends. Next thing you know, the grandpa walks over to my house and asks me if I can take care of the child until sometime the next day because he is too drunk to watch her and the grandmother is messed up on pills.. The grandmother came out later after I had been taking care of the child all day and started yelling and cussing at me & the little girl. Ugh.. it made me so mad.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010