What can you do with a 15 year old who lies and steals? How would you handle her stealing from grandparents?

sillyme85

Asked by sillyme85 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• wow, we have one those here at home. We let him know that he didn't take it, he "STOLE" it, we don't sugar coat the things that he does. He gets grounded for lying and stealing, everything gets taken out of his room. He writes and apology letter to whom ever he stole from. Take her on a tour of the juvenile detention center in your area or have a police officer speak to her on what the consequences are for stealing and lying in the justice system. Don't enable her always give him a consequence for her actions be consistent.
    Angeleyez08

Answer by Angeleyez08 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't have any real advice but since that is a trust issue and trust is earned, take the door off their room. I would take them everywhere I go and make them hold my hand. Not only for humiliation in front of her peers, but mostly to show how childish their behavior is. They want to act that immature they get to be treated like they are immature!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 2:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• And take away things from them-if you're the parent its not a crime:) LOL
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 2:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Grandparents should handle it. Report it to the police and let them take care of it if this has been going on for a while. If it's a first time offence, then make sure she doesn't have the opportunity to steal anything else for a very long time. She can't be trusted, so she should not be trusted. Keep her under surveillance 24/7 for as long as it takes to get through to her.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Oh, and be sure she has to personally repay whatever it was that she stole from them.
    NannyB.

• what did they steal?? not that it should matter but sometimes we all do stupid not so nice things as teens we feel bad for later... my mom had my grandma watch us while on her honeymoon and I stole $20 from my grandma and I was by all rights, not the "BAD" one.. I just did something selfish and stupid as a teenager.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• She needs a good kick in the behind...lol.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 2:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If it is continuous, then I would call the cops on her. There are consequences to every decision.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I am not really sure of the complete history of her "stealing" habits but a few things that may help. Most often times children will do this as an act to gain attention. Has there been majoy changes in her life? Divorce, new sibling, marriage? This could even sometimes be a change that has happened in the past several years that you thought she may have dealt with but truly hasn't. Then there is always the issue of has she gained any new friends or do you live in an area where "gangs' are an issue? Even with us trying to raise our children to a standard that we feel may totally be against these things there are still developmental stages that children go through even until the age of 18 that will test these rules. I know that at the age of 15 a child no doubt knows these things are wrong and unacceptable but also have not completely developed the ability to decipher between the consequences of there actions.
    sprmomof3sprkds

Answer by sprmomof3sprkds at 11:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2010