how to prevent brown sugar from going so hard ?

i buy packaged light or dark brown sugar. after first time use i usually put it in a air tight jar but still after a couple of days it clumps together and becomes so hard that i have to scrape it with a knife or fork before using it. then ofcourse the measurements are not precise, meaning if i want 1 tbsp, i get more or less after scraping it.. not the amount i want. what do u guys do to prevent it from hard like a rock ??

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Entertainment

• Not sure how to prevent it from going hard, HOWEVER if it is hard you can put it in the microwave in one bowl small bowl and some water in another bowl for about 1-3 minutes and it will soften it back up! That's what I do all the time to soften the brown sugar that has gotten hard.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Buy a 'Brown Sugar Bear'. I bought mine at a local kitchen store but I am sure that if you look it up you can buy one online. It is a little bear (not sure what it is made out of), but you put it in the bag with the sugar and it will keep the sugar from hardening.
    peace1234

Answer by peace1234 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• SAHMinIL2's suggestion is basically what I do, but I put a wet paper towel on top of the bowl of brown sugar instead of in a separate bowl. Makes it just like new!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Put a slice of bread or apple in it, or use a terra cotta sugar disk. I store mine in plastic heavy-duty zippered bags (not in the freezer, lol) and no longer need to do anything to it. It stays moist.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 2:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have a brown sugar bear as well. I bought mine at Target years ago. Also..when I store it in my tupperware canister it doesn't lose the moisture for a long, long time.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I only have that problem after months or if the kids get into and leave the lid off.

I have an air tight plastic container and I usually leave it in the bag inside the container.  Sounds like you are still getting air into the jar.  You probably need something different to keep it in.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Oh on the microwave do a 1 minute to 30 seconds at a time. If it's in the microwave to long it will begin to melt. I should have been clear on that in my first post.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Keep it in the original packaging! When I buy mine in a box, I keep the wax paper inside folded up tightly, and when I buy it in a zip bag, I keep it in there inside a tub. Try to keep the moisture out, as that's what makes it hard.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I store mine in a Ziplock bag and don't have this trouble, but I agree with the rest of the ladies, put it in the microwave for a few and it will soften back up.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Wow, I learned something! I don't use it often, so I usually just buy a new one when I need it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010