What would you do about this little dog?

A couple months ago, after my son kept asking for a dog, my husband finally got him one. I was against it from the beginning. I know how hard puppies can be. We have 5 kids, two under the age of 3, and a house that is already crowded. We have a big back yard and I was looking forward to the summer time because I kept picturing the little ones outside playing while I enjoyed a tall glass of lemonade. Anyway, needless to say the dog has taken over our backyard. He hates being tied up (which I refuse to do anyway) and jumps all over the little ones. They are now scared to go outside. I can't plant flowers back there, and we can't enjoy our new deck. We tried finding a new owner for him, but have had no luck. We got him from the pound, but I am sad to take him back there. Any advice?

peace1234

Asked by peace1234 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pets

• Let your husband and the kids know that if a serious effort to help to care for and train the pup doesn't start now then he will have to be taken back. I would give the pup another chance, even though I know how much extra work it is and I only have ONE child! I feel for you there. Tell your husband especially how you feel, and that he went ahead and got the dog despite your opinion on it, so he needs to step up and do something about it.

See if anyone has a dog crate that you can put the pup in for a short time each day while he is still learning. That way the kids can play without being jumped on by the dog, and the pup will learn to calm down a little.

Good luck! And remember- it isn't the dog's fault.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• How about you train him.
    Stop making excuse to get rid of him and take responsibility. You have the dog regardless if you were against it, not be the dominant partner and control the dog.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Getting rid of the dog will only show your children that pets are disposable. I understand not wanting the dog in the first place but point is you have him now. Some training and constructive play will help. Have you tried giving him different things to do? Or kennel training? It will be a hard road and lots of work (unfortunaly most of it will fall on you) but teaching your children to love the pet and getting them involved in the training will teach them a lot of responsibility. Please atleast try training and get past the fact that you didnt want it in the first place. If you must "get rid" of the pet try a rescue rather than the pound.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Training! But to train a dog, the whole family has to be on board too. You could certainly look for a good trainer in your area to help you, but just some basic obedience classes would be a good first step.

Some other tips: Put a long leash on him. If he jumps up, firmly say "DOWN!" and give him a quick sharp jerk. Encourage the kids to put a knee up and do similarly. Also, if he's not crate trained already, do so. A crate is a good place for a pup to have a time out if he's getting too excited. But remember, it's an exuberant puppy. When life around them is exciting, they get excited too.

Teaching basic commands and enforcing them consistently should net you a positive change within days!
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 2:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Don't dump the dog because you can't or won't take the time to train.

IF you refuse to do your part for the dog, find a rescue (not the pound) and tell them your issues. Be ready for an icy response. People who get dogs, don't train them, then want to get rid of them when it becomes too hard, are the bane of rescuer's lives. Quit making excuses for your son, he wanted the dog, he needs to help you train the dog.

Bring the dog inside. Bored dogs, with little interaction from their families, get destructive and do things that dogs who are cared for by being allowed inside, don't do. If you can't or won't bring him inside, then he deserves to go to a home where he is allowed in the house.

It isn't the dog's fault that you and your family were unprepared for a dog. Do what is best for him.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 3:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• He will probably calm down as he gets older. Puppies are energetic and jumpy, that's very normal. Also, you could look into getting him some training so that he will be a well-behaved and enjoyable family pet.

If you have your heart set on getting rid of him, do try to find him a home if you can--did you try craigslist or petfinder.com? Of course you have to be careful to screen people, but we found our cat a wonderful, loving him that way, so it can be done. If worse comes to absolute worse, then taking him back to the shelter is preferable over turning him loose or something. It's a shame though--try to work it out if you can. Good luck.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i would also prolly take it back unless u want to pay for a trainer or spend the time training it
    tlgifford

Answer by tlgifford at 2:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Watch Dog Whisperer or call up Cesar Millan. I swear by him and his ways.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 2:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I realize that the puppy needs more training from us, I myself do not have the energy. I am trying to potty train and just deal with keeping order in our home over the summer. I didn't want the dog in the first place, but I feel like such a bad mom for that. I got my son books on training and have encouraged him to go out and spend time with the dog, but he has alot going on too. I am especially irritated with my husband because he doesn't get it. It just wasn't the right time to get a dog for out family.
    peace1234

Comment by peace1234 (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Oh and don't force your kids to do it. You do it.
    JazzlikeMraz