what do I use for first baths?

What should I use for baby when hes newborn in the bath? Shampoo, soap,bodywash etc? For some reason im very nervous to bath him when he gets home any advice would also be great thx

dairyberrys

Asked by dairyberrys at 2:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just used water for my kids' first baths..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• When we first brought my daughter home, we gave her "sponge baths" on the kitchen counter. We just laid down a towel, and put her on it, keeping the parts not being washed covered so she didn't get cold. Be sure to get under your baby's neck! We just used baby body wash, which could be used in her hair also. It's made for babies, so you know it's okay.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Johnson's Bedtime Wash or even the non-bedtime wash.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• start out in a warm bathroom and use cottonballs that are moist ( no soap) to wash the face and neck ears
    you don't need alot of baby bath and actually using plain DOVE brand soap is better because it is pure & soap free and there are not any chemicals in it.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i was oh so nervous use johnsons head to toe it works everywhere i put him on his mat in the tub withh an inch or two of water and used the wash cloth to not get his belly and gently pour water over his body wash with soapy cloth and rinse. its scary with your first but your motherly instincts will kick in i promise!!
    jennette0704

Answer by jennette0704 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You can just use water, or you can use a baby gentle body wash. When I was doing my clinical rotations on OB they even just used water, and put some lotion on the wet washcloth and used that in place of soap. Also we would encourage the new mom's to take part in bathing the baby for the first time in the hospital, so that they felt more at ease when they got home, if your nurse doesn't ask you if you want to do this, just ask for her to let you either watch, or help give the baby a bath, they also may have you watch a few videos before you're discharged and one is about how to bathe your baby, so if you are not approached about any of this where you are from, just ask and I'm sure they will help you. They want you to be comfortable with everything when you take the baby home. Good luck!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 2:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I filled a small container with warm water and a drop or two of Baby Magic soap. I laid my baby on a towel on the bed and used a baby washcloth dipped in the water to wash him. And had another container or clear warm water to rinse with the washcloth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I use Johnson and Johnson Moisturizing Baby Wash. I've always used Johnson and Johnson, but I've found the mosturizing body wash really is the best!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I recommend Cetaphil Face wash (the gentlest stuff around).
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I gave him a sponge bath on a towel until his umbilical cord came off, and then I moved him into his baby tub, and I use Johnson and Johnson body wash and their shampoo as well!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2010