has anyone ever been moved by military movers... like pcsing?

we are going to get packed up this week and i dont know what i am suposed to do... do i pack my own things in boxes, do i fold all laundry and set it out? what do i do... oh and my um.... toys lol do i put them somewhere that they wont pack them? lol

joycegina

Asked by joycegina at 2:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Travel

• I just packed my own things, because I was anal over a few things. And I like to organize my own boxes - plus, I seem to remember better if I literally pack my own stuff into the boxes. So, because I did that, none of the "private items" were that big of a deal to me.

You could roll them up in blankets or something. Or just pack up a few boxes with your stuff in them already.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Read and learn as much as you can in order to avoid stress.  GL

Military Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Lessons Learned

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You don't have to pack anything. It's best you don't actually. Why, because if you pack something and it breaks, they are not liable to pay for it. They have large boxes with metal rods that they actually just take your clothing straight from the closet and hang it up in the box. It's a few day process. One day someone will come to assess everything. The second day it is all packed. Then typically the third day it is loaded onto a moving truck. It's most likely through a civilian company that is contracted with the military. I have had several moves and they are all about the same. Then when they get to your new location for it to be unloaded, make sure you are the one checking off the numbers to boxes and items to guarantee you recieved all of your property. It is WAY easier than a DITY (Do It Yourself Move). And each company sets up your furniture and unpack everything you want them to unpack and get rid of boxes.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• More Military Moving Tips  

What you might do also is that what items you don’t want the packers to pack is to put them all in empty closet or bathroom and put a sign DO NOT PACK ANYTHING IN HERE.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• When we PCS'd to Italy, we had the military movers do it. Hilarious. They were efficient as hell, but we had dumped all the stuff from our fridge (including meat) into the kitchen garbage can. They packed it as is. Our stuff sat in crates, in the summer, for 2 mos. When we finally got it delivered to our home in Italy, I had to spend two days trying to figure out what REEKED like rancid flesh.

I personally prefer to pack up myself so that I can make good notes for what is in each box. I get a set of those Avery labels (3 across) and make 3 stickers per letter of the alphabet. I make a spreadsheet with the corresponding letters and make notes as to what is in the box. Then I put a stick on the top and two sides of the box so that no matter where the thing gets stuck or stacked, I can pretty easily figure out what is in the box. When I am trying to unpack or need something specific, I just look at my spreadsheet.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 3:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My favorite thing -especially if you have kids- are "open me first boxes". For each room/family member one. These boxes should contain a minimum of items that are great to have right away. For that will be in the kitchen for example, coffee maker, coffee and filters, plastic wear and dishes, salt pepper, a pot, a pan , kitchen towels. In the bathroom: Toiletpaper....:-) and other things.
    it is, whatever you think is important.

Of course, taking your deco off the wall, disassembling things, did you take inventory of all you valuables (electronics, jewelery...)

Susanna

I have collected my suggestions here: www.militarydutystations.com under "free PCS Guide" this one is great too: http://www.todaysmilitaryspouse.com/category/behind-the-gates/pcs-tips/

Susanna
    diosia

Answer by diosia at 2:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010