Does voluntary work thats relevant to a career path count as part of experience?

I am looking into volunteering while going to school online just to build my experience, but all my family members think its a waste of time and will not matter to future bosses. I cant get any job because I dont have experience (yet) so thats why I think its a good idea and not a waste of time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• MOst of the time any volunteer work you do you can put on your resume as your experience.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Absolutely! Its definatley something you put on your resume. Less time gaps in employments history makes you one heck of a candidate-especially when you filled up your time with relevent work!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 3:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It is not a waste of time and can be used on a resume!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes, it counts, and sometimes it leads to a job.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Volunteer work is never a waste of time.....
    I do think you can put your volunteer work on your resume. My daughter did and she got a greatjob because she was so involved with her volunteer work and going to college to get her MBA. Even if you didn't need it for a resume, it is always a good thing to volunteer.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes, because it can be included in your resume and it shows your commitment to your work.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Absolutely! It helps you to learn a great deal about the field of your choice.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 3:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Oh, yes. It absolutely counts. Your family couldn't be more wrong if they said the sky was yellow.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Volunteer work can definately be beneficial. I list all the volunteer work I've done on my resume and I've actually landed a paid position with the company I volunteered for. So go for it.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 6:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2010