General Question about new relationships

If you're a single mom of 2 children and have been dating someone for 10 months, do you think that your partner would just automatically go to events with you? For example; a 4th of July parade and bbq? When you're in a relationship, do you assume the other person wants to go and they automatically know they're invited, or do you have to specifically request their presence every time? I'm just curious if 10 months is too soon to expect that or not.

More info, since I can't reply anon : ) The man has no children, never been married. They do not live together. He does hang out with the children and is great with them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• he may want the verbal invite so he doesn't feel like hes pushing himself my hubby was that way when we got together he was awsome with the kids but when it came to going with us i had to ask days in advance or he wouldn't go
    jennette0704

Answer by jennette0704 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would assume that they would want to go together, being that they have been together for 10 months..
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• shit by 10 months i'd be thinking they might have discussed the subject of marriage even if only in theory. he should always be included by others inviting her. she should invite him along and he should be committed enough to at least make the important ones.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• it would just depend on their own relationship.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It depends. If sex is involved I think it would be assumed by him after that amount of time but if its serious but your still in that phase of taking your time then no.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 3:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have two kids and have been with my guy for almost 9 months--he has no children (besides the one Im carrying) and hasn't ever had a serious relationship.. & he's only 18, but he is SOOO good with my children..supports them, takes care of them & does stuff with us as a family! No, you shouldn't have to ask him.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It honestly depends on the comfort level... and the relationship, yes.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would still ask him, probably as a courtesy so that it isnt assumed that he is invited and is going. I hate when things are assumed. And being that you arent living together, I would definitely say yes, that you need to ask if he can go, and say that it would be nice if he would and that you would appreciate it, not just say that he automatically has to go.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It depends on the type of relationship you have and on the person. SOme people need an invite to attend events and others assume...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• In the relationships that I've been in I've always had to see if they wanted to go. Now person that I know automatically assumes they're going to these events. Unless of course they've been together for a year, two years. I think when it's still counting in months, depending on the couple, it's still a "Hey can you go?" kind of thing.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2010