will my cats fur smother my newborn???

a lot of people are telling me that i have to get rid of my cat because his fur will smother my baby when she is born.....is it true

jazzilove

Asked by jazzilove at 2:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Pets

• Well, as long as the cat isn't sleeping on the baby's face the baby will be fine. There's no need to get rid of a cat just because others fear something might happen. I can't tell you how many times I've been told my dog is a "killer" because she's a pit bull. Do your best to keep the cat from sleeping in the bed with the baby and everything will be fine. If it becomes an issue, close the door to the baby's room when he's asleep.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• It's an urban myth/old wives tale sort of thing. I was told, when my son was born, that my cat will kill the baby. That he will get so jealous of the baby that he'll lay on his face and smother him. The exact opposite was true. I watched closely when the cat was in the room. He would watch the baby and growl at anyone other than me who went near the baby. He was very protective! And his fur didn't hurt the baby in any way.

Just vacuum and keep an eye on the baby. I mean does your cat really shed so much that the baby's nose and mouth will be totally covered and clogged with it?
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 2:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• i agree just keep an eye and keep them not to close
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Old wives tale. My 2 siamese used to get in the crib and sleep on either side of my kids and would purr up a storm. It seemed to sooth the kids. It was cute, and they never once tried to smother the baby or even lick the kids faces or elswhere. Keep your kitty.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I LOVE THIS QUESTION...

I heard the same thing a bazillion times from my grandmother..
    It is false. Just make sure the baby's formula is out of the cats reach and make sure there is none around the baby's mouth.

When I had my daughter I had my husband take a blanket home from the hospital that the baby was wrapped up in so the cats got used the scent before the baby came home. I also find not hiding the baby from the cats make the cats less more curious. Let the cats smell the baby and get used to the baby.
    maddysmommy907

Answer by maddysmommy907 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• when people say that cat can smother babies at times it is true getting rid of a pet is too extreme, but what you can do is just make sure the cat isnt in the same room as the baby when you arent there. its all very easy to keep track of and when you arent there just close the door off to the cat.
    Anonymous

• i had two cats when i had my daughter.. the only thing you have to worry about with cats is that you don't breathe there litter box.... as far as smothering them, just don't let them lay on the baby (common sense)
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 11:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Well... for one some people are allergic to cats & you don't know if that's your baby's case
    2: Cats can smell milk on your babies face, while your in another room, like say your baby is asleep, the cat may mangle your baby's face. There was a story about a cat trying to eat a baby cause it smelled like milk. on the news.
    GoldenWhite

Answer by GoldenWhite at 5:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I have a cat and she leaves my son alone. She's never tried to get in his crib with him. They are fine to have around the baby. At night I shut the door to my son's room. The whole cat's kill your baby thing is a myth. I grew up around them and nothing happened.
    HuntersMom4908

Answer by HuntersMom4908 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• It's not that the cat will purposely smother your baby...MYTH!! What *can* happen is that the cat can smell the milk or formula on your baby's breath and climb on top of your baby's chest to lick at his or her mouth. Or the cat may cuddle on top of your baby for heat, or for social reasons (some cats just like babies!) The problem arises due to the fact that often, cats and babies weigh about the same, and the baby can't breathe with a cat on her chest. Keep cats out of baby's room.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 5:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2008