Having trouble deciding on a method of birth control!

Well, I just had twins 6 weeks ago and I got the depo shot after they were born. I have been on it in the past but this time it is different. I am constantly spotting, growing stray hairs on my chin and I am only 22 (!), and I have had a bigger appetite... which is not good when you're trying to LOSE baby weight!

Anyway, I've tried the NuvaRing... that's how I got pregnant with my second child.... I've tried the pill... that's how I got pregnant with the twins. I've tried the IUD and had it removed after 8 months because of all the problems it was causing me.

Basically, I am running out of options. LoL. What kind of birth control do you prefer? Why?

I really need some advice b/c I DON'T want to have anymore kids right now -- I'm 22 and I already have 4-- but I can't seem to find anything that works for me and is actually reliable!

By the way, all of my kids have the same dad & we've been together for 5 yrs. LoL.

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i perfer the birth controll patches you stick one on your hip change it evey week for 3 weeks leaqve it off the 4th week and thts your period.. tht was my favorite birth controll then i sqitched to the shot because it takes away the period and it made me gain weight and the stray hairs tht i still get now!! but none of tht happened with the patches
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 4:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You named all of the birth control methods that I have used and prefer, all except for one. You could try the patch, I believe it is called Ortho Evra. I was on that for at least 6 months, and had no issues with it.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Do you want something permanent or just temporary in case you want more children later on?

carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 3:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i hated the iud! the patch was ok, if it stayed on.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I use the iud. I have had no problems with it. Perhaps time to try a different brand? Are you looking for perminat b.c? Or do you want kids in the future?
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I was like you after birth. I couldn't handle hormonal BC anymore. Spotted for 18 months then gave it all up. Now I chart and we use protection when I'm fertile.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I like the five year inplant that I have, it can be removed any time, was put in in my upper arm, its called Implonton- not sure if I spelled it right, but its no head aches, and actually made my period VERY light, almost not there.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 4:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• JnCV they have stopped doing the arm implants. I had asked my OB about it in November and that is what I was told.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 4:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I was also told implanon was recalled. You may want to look into that jncv. I also heard the patch was recalled a while back. My doc doesnt even offer it? I used it before and it gave me a rash, and caused weight gain. I currently am on nuva ring. It works well for us. I have been on it a total of about 5 years (2 separate times in my life), and have never gotten pregnant or had any problems, that sucks that it didnt work for you :(
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i don't know what to tell you - i had MAJOR problems from Depo (still suffering 15 years later) - i can't tolerate any type of synthetic hormones at all so pill is out, and Mirena did ok for a year then had to be removed. I had a friend that liked the ring... I gave up on birth control other than condoms because of all the problems... i'm pregnant now... I don't know what I'm going to do afterward....
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2010