Welcome to Lord of the Flies

How long will it be before dissenting opinions leave the answers section altogether? I can see downvoting stupid answers that have nothing to do with the question. I can definitely see downvoting insulting ones. What's the justification for voting down a yes or no answer to a yes/no question? Wouldn't it be faster to just say, "I think this, post if you agree"? And then the other side can post one, "I think the other, post if you agree"? And then everyone can farm upvotes or go back and forth downvoting each other's entire questions.

I question the mentality that downvotes an opinion without any insight into WHY that opinion is held, because doing that to someone else means it's ok for them to return the favor. We are entering tit for tat hell, ladies.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The lord of the flies gave me nightmares.

They need to be clearer about what those darn buttons are for.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• "Voting up good answers and voting down unhelpful or incorrect answers helps to highlight the best ones."

Except this system doesn't work on opinion based forums. I mean sure it works on ones like "What is the number one recommended cough medicine from doctors". But not in sections like Religion and BELIEFS (which are opinion based) or P&CE which again are mostly opinion based. (Unless a person is asking where they can find a specific law to read but how often does that REALLY happen?, most is what do you think of this situation or a bash fest between Conservatives and Liberals)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't get the up/down vote thing either, I'm not really sure what the purpose is. I suppose eventually people will stalk each other just to vote down an answer.

I agree that if you disagree with an answer it is better to explain why you disagree.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 3:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Ok, we're thinking the same thing regarding the same issue on the same post. See my recent question, lol. You beat me to it as I was typing it out. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have been now accused of having "control issues "because I see the unfairness of this system and want it removed. I have also been accused of believing that only MY answers are the right answers because I think it's wrong for a person to have to go back and "re earn" their points because someone just doesn't like them. and THEN I was told that this issue is no big deal and basically there are bigger problems and I should just get over it :) and OMG Kristi WTH have we been arguing about all night because I do believe I am in agreement with what you just posted!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I did post a Q about this in the group and they responded that they are thinking of changing the color from red to grey or something less distracting AND making it show the upvote total AND the down vote total. I think they are missing the point AND the problem AND they are going to make a cluttered space MORE cluttered! LOL WHY wont they LISTEN!??

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• And another thought... at hte end of the day... the moms with the most points/highest levels are going to be the moms who log the most hours on here playing point collecting games. It won't really be people who give the most thoughtful answers. I supposed from an advertising standpoint CM can say, "see how many hours our users log and how many times they will see your ads!" to potenal advertising customers, but to the average mom who has a life, kids, and community/work obiligations, they are never going to rack up tons of points.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Some people will downvote another because they don't like that person, not so much the response. One of the downsides of trying to get rid of trolls.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• In politics its being used against people that dont like each other

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• yeah, I don't understand this whole thing myself.
    I thought this was a site for adults, that people could handle a difference of opinions-

why did this big change happen? seems like it makes it easier to bash rather than the other way around-
    not sure why-
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010