Golden Retriever

We have a new Golden named Tucker. He is 4 months old. When he was about 2 months old he got hold of a piece of pizza my son dropped. Well he tried to swallow this thing whole. So after a good amount of chasing him, my DD and I managed to pry his mouth open and take it from him. Ever since then, this dog seems ruined. He doesn't really play a whole lot like a Golden should, he spends every second he can get sniffing for food. He will put off eating dog food until he feels he has exhausted all other options. Even when we take him to the park, he won't go in the grass, he would rather sniff the mulch under the play set for food. It is making me nuts and I don't know what to do. Any advice?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 3:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pets

• He sounds like a typical dog to me. Dogs don't realize what they're missing until they get ahold of "Human food". When they do they definately would prefer that over dog food. Anyone would really. Therefore, just encourage him to play. Throw the ball with him, chase him around, just anything to get him active.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• He sounds like a typical golden retriever. I had a retriever, and she even went to the trouble of drinking my moms coffee. When my mom came back with the dessert to go with her coffee, the cup was empty. The problem was the dog needed "gas-x" afterwards. Don't worry we didn't really feed our dog anything like that even though she could have used something. lol
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010