Why does my son take long naps at nana's house but refuses to nap with me?

My son is 5 1/2 mon old and will NOT nap at home! he screams if I try to put him down for a nap, evenif I nurse him or rock him to sleep he cries as soon as I lay him down but only for daytime naps. He goes down fine at bedtime. His Nana keeps him 2 days a weep and he always takes long naps with her. She just rocks him to sleep and puts him down, never a problem. I am so frustrated!

Tylersmom119

Asked by Tylersmom119 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She wears him out? Have you tried a swing? My daughter loved that swing. It worked wonders for her.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would ask how she is playing with him, she may be wearing him out so he is ready. Other than that experienced grandmas just have the touch lol, it is maddening.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• He either knows he can get away with it with you, or Nanna does something that you're not doing.
    Try wearing him out. In the morning and until his nap play with him until the little guy can't keep his eyes open. Make sure his tummy is full before nap time, then just rock him and sing him to sleep.

My daughter LOVES her swing as well. She will not go to sleep at night if not first rocked to sleep in her swing. Both of my kids love to be sung to if they're having trouble sleeping. They just gaze up at me and smile until their little eyes close. And I love the closeness with them as I rock them to sleep.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• try to interact with him more than usual....gmas r usually VERY good at spoiling the grandkids so he is prolly getting worn out with all the attention he's getting...dunno....hope that helps :)
    tlgifford

Answer by tlgifford at 3:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• ok, I'm not trying to sound mean, but is she maybe lying? i found out that my mil was lying to me about my son crying. she always told me she never had any problems when she watched him and he never cried. Well, my oldest was a super early talker and he told me one day that he cries at grandmas and wants me to come get him when he has to nap. I called her on it and she finally gave in and told me he does cry but that she can deal with it and didn't want to worry me.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Ask her what her secret is.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have tried wearing him out, letting him cry for a few minutes, putting him in the swing, singing, rocking...all to no avail! I even swallowed my pride and asked my MIL to tell me exactly what she does. Still no luck! She says all she does is lay him down for a max of 5 min of fussing then rocks 5 min or so and he is out like a light. She says if he wakes up while being put down she just pats his butt and he drifts back off and sleeps for 1 1/2- 2 1/2 hrs. He won't take naps like this for me or my husband. My FIL supports her story so I believe it is the truth. I just can't figure out why he refuses to let us lay him down for naps. I guess we are just going to have to live with it and have faith that this too shall pass. Thanks for the suggestions ladies!
    Tylersmom119

Comment by Tylersmom119 (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If she rocks him to sleep, just curious if she sings lullabies to him. This may also help as he will focus on the soothing sound and may help to calm him. I know my mom used to rock my son to sleep and would sing to him that maybe the trick!! LOL.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010