Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We are both on the lease but he doesn't have a key...

Can I legally lock him out? He is emotionally abusive (physically in the past) and Ican't take it anymore.... I work until 3ish am and he will wake me up at 6am calling me names and all this other stuff.... I get 3 hrs of sleep a night and I work my ass off.... I can't take it anymore, I'm about to snap!! Please tell me I can lock him out!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • Obtaining a restraining order and talking with your landlord to remove him from the lease is where you should start.

    Answer by lori232 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • legally no, he can go to the landlord and get a key or call the police... if u want him out get an order of protection.

    Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • i woul go to the police and the landlord first.

    Answer by jennifer588 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • If he's on the lease, you can't do anything besides get a restraining order.

    Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • He has every right to be in the house if he's on the lease. The only way you can get him off the lease is to seek information regarding your state on these issues. You then way your options and move on from there but FIRST make sure you're doing every thing legally in order to protect yourself.

    Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • You have to obtain a restraining order before you can legally lock him out. You cannot lock him out of a home that he is on the lease of without a restraining order first.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • you have to get a restraining order to get him out.

    Answer by lovinangels at 3:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • get a restraining order. get him removed from the lease. meanwhile, if he comes by and is threatening, just call the police... even if it is legally his home he still can't abuse or threaten you in it.

    Answer by figaro8895 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • change your phone number... it sounds like he is too scared to approach you in person regardless of his rights... he just wants to torment you.

    Answer by figaro8895 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.