Our dog growls....advice?

She's not in anyway mean, just intimidating.....an 80lbs. boxer. She growls at everyone, except children, until she knows them. Any advice?

heewe

Asked by heewe at 3:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pets

• Dogs are pack animal..she needs to be taught that YOU are the Alpha Female..not her. It really isn't that difficult to train her to be submissive to your commands.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/alphadogbootcamp.htm

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Whatever you do, dont lock her away when people come over. It'll make her mean and want to attack them if shes out. But like GrenEyedGrandma said she needs to be taught that youre the boss, not her. GL
    jojolicious220

Answer by jojolicious220 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i could never lock her away.....she's not mean, just overly protective. Once she knows the person is a friend, she calms immediately. I just worry that she will really scare someone. She responds pretty quickly when corrected just didn't know if there was a more effective way than just saying no. Thanks for the advice!
    heewe

Comment by heewe (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• is she on a leash when she first meets people? maybe she is exhibiting leash aggression? if she is not on a leash, maybe a leash put higher up behind the ears can be used as a correction with a tug when she growls? people should not invade her space either and should not try to pet her if they are strangers, I know I don't like strangers touching me and sometimes I wish I could growl! I have never really had a dog that growled at humans but I have had some that did that with other dogs when they first met them....maybe take her to dog classes where she can be socialized more? She is a big dog and could be scary to some people even if she is not growling. I would def try to socialize her more with more correction involved, PetSmart has some dog classes you can take her to that will be out of your house and around other people and other dogs, I think even Petco has some classes but I am not completely sure...best wishes to you!
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 7:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My Boxer growls when he plays, but I know the difference between playful sounds and aggressive sounds. He will growl when someone comes to the door, but once I let them in he is all wiggles and wants to lick them. Boxers are very vocal dogs to begin with (I have raised three over the last 12 years) and many times their voice can be mistaken for agression. If your dog is not exhibiting threatening behaviors toward people, and listens when you tell her to hush, or let her know it is OK, then I would not be terribly worried. Growls are a warning, not exactly a sign of aggression.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2010