Since homosexuality is the topic of the day...

You realize that if same sex marriage was legalized throughout the US (like it is in many other countries) that it would help not just homosexuals right?

It would boost the economy with the 'boom' of same sex marriages. The government would be making more money. Plus it would also help out transgender individuals who are trying to trek through the murky area of whether or not their marriage is void yet or not since a sex change would no longer void a marriage.

So what is one bad thing that would happen if same sex marriage was legalized completely?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 3:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think all your points are valid, but I can say people are again going to use this as a debate for "morality" and the bible, and God.
    For the record, I am a christian and I believe in God...but I believe in a God that loves...love is love is love....
    all the other benefits are extras. My cousin is marrying her lfe partner in september...and I couldnt be happier...
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Homosexual marriage is legal here in Canada, and no straight people have been forced into despair and divorce over it. No religious institution has been forced to perform a gay marriage against their beliefs. In fact, I don't think anyone (other than cake decorators) has noticed one bit of difference in their day to day lives.

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 3:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• "It will devalue true marriages between 1 man and 1 woman... "

As I said in an earlier post, the ONLY people who devalue the sanctity of marriage are those who BREAK THEIR VOWS. If two men, or two women getting legally married DEVALUE your marriage, you have bigger issues at hand.

OP: Nothing negative would result. NOTHING.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• As I said in an earlier post, the ONLY people who devalue the sanctity of marriage are those who BREAK THEIR VOWS. If two men, or two women getting legally married DEVALUE your marriage, you have bigger issues at hand.

I absolutely agree. You are the only ones who can give your marriage meaning or take it away. If someone else's relationship has any impact on your marriage, what is your marriage really worth?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I've always felt that the value of a marriage is based on how the relationship itself was treated. Example, I have a higher opinion of two men or two women who are faithful to each other than I'll ever have of 1 man and 1 woman who sleep with everyone but their spouse. I've seen more gay partnerships that have been, in my mind, a better "marriage" than so many so called "traditional" marriages simply because the gay couples have held each other in such high esteem and treated each other with such respect that it's hard not to respect their relationship. On that same note, how many of us know the kind of couple where either the husband or the wife is so badly treated that you feel sick just knowing what kind of POS they're married to? And yet they are treated better than the gay couple because "it's the way marriage has always been."
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 5:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Gay Bridezillas (Groomzillas?)
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• So getting married in Vegas after meeting 10 minutes ago is OK as long as it's a man and a woman? That doesn't "devalue" marriage? I can't think of a SINGLE bad thing about it other than we'd all have to listen to the homophobes whine day and night about the "sanctity" of their marriages.

mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 3:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I wanted to add that the anon who said it just is wrong...hey yanno this is America. I may not agree with her, but she has every right to say what she wants, believe what she wants. If she didnt have that right, then what rights do any of us have?
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• cjsjellybean - I respect your opinion. I don't agree, but I respect your right to have it.

With that being said, you believe that the only marriages that are TRUE unions are those between a man and a woman. I am married to a man. However, is our married still a TRUE union since we did not marry in a church? Quite the opposite really, we were married on our front porch while my best friend, a non-denominational ordained minister, simply signed our marriage license. So since we were not married under God's word, or belief, do we still have a TRUE union to you?
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Marriage used to be between a man, his wife, and his mistresses, or concubines, or his many wives. And that's in the Bible. Marriage hasn't always been what it is today. It's ridiculous to think so. It changes with the times. And so, as the times change now, so should marriage. Gay marriage will not affect anything legally. Why would it? And why would a gay couple marrying affect my marriage at all? (Except that dh and I would be so happy that our gay friends could get married!!)
    Jenniejen77

Answer by Jenniejen77 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010