The Holy Spirit: the Christian Goddess?

So Elohim created man in his own image,
in the image of Elohim he created him;
male and female he created them.Genesis 1:27

http://networkedblogs.com/5vMIM

Thoughts?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• In the original Hebrew, Elohim not only meant MULTIPLE gods, but it was a FEMININE pronoun. Logical, that the female aspect of god created the world and all life on it, if one considers that women are the creators of life even today The ancients gave the mother goddess the name Sophia (from the greek--meaning knowlege and wisdom) and some still worship her today. In gnostic traditions the virgin Mary WAS the divine feminine--Sophia--incarnated in order to insure the purity and godliness of her son, Jesus. The patriarchal Israelite nation may have banished Sophia to the minor form of the Holy Spirit, but they couldn't keep her out!!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are a Trinity. One being in three forms.
    I searched the Bible online in three places and Jesus never reffers to the spirit as his "heavenly mother" as the article claims. I have NEVER heard of that. Bunch of crap if you want my true opinion. God and the Holy Spirit are genderless.

God is called the Father because at Jesus time the father of a household was its greatest authority and he was trying to relay the message that God is the Earths greatest authority. If he had called the Spirit the "mother" he would have been refering to its nurturing and protective properties...not its gender!
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• MamaK88

Comment by MamaK88 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I believe that God is Asexual... the Bible consistently refers to God as "Him", but translated it's much like the french/spanish... everything, even a couch, is either male or female.

at least that's how I learned it...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I really don't think of God as being man or women more of a spirit or energy. I often use the word he when referring to God but only because it makes it easier to understand. To me you could just as easily use the word she.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• my concept of god, although it includes humanity, is not human. god is All That Is
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I agree with a lot of what amber710 says :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• The bible also says "Let us create them in our image." I believe God was speaking to the holy spirit and Jesus I also believe the holy spirit is the heavenly Goddess, Mother, What will you. I believe there has to be a feminine entity.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I do not think that God is male or female. IMO God is a spirit that is just referred to as he. Kinda like most people call a boat a she, even though a boat is neither male or female.
    LizzieAnnesMom

Answer by LizzieAnnesMom at 7:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2010