Moving to Phoenix

My DH and I are thinking about moving; I am applying to ASU law this fall, and should I get accepted it is where we plan to move (permanently). I have family in the area, but we know we want a house (it would be our first!)

ASU is near Tempe and it's expensive to live there. I've heard some of the areas of Phoenix can be bad, but I need something close enough to the school I can commute rather easily.

Any suggestions? Places to consider or reject?

OmbreGracieuse

Asked by OmbreGracieuse at 3:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Mesa is nice but i'm not sure about housing cost. I wish you all the best :)
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 3:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Tempe isnt THAT bad compared to other areas out here. How old are you? Tempe is more of a younger party city. Phx does have the light rail that you can ride to school if need be. If driving isnt a problem, Queen creek has almost NEW houses for CHEAP!!! i lived out there and we had a 4 bd room 2 1/2 bath for only like 900/mo! its a distance away.. probably would take 40 minutes to get to ASU, but if you find a cheap house that u like it would be worth it. And queen creek is a NICE growing town.... its PRETTTYYY out there too!! you could also check out GIlbert, thats where i live :) its nice and VERY family oriented!! i have family in Tempe and it only takes like 10-15 min to get there.... scottsdale is TOO expensive... u could also check out Chandler!

BTW all the cities i listed above are RIGHT by MAJOR freeways... US 60 I-10 and 101
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I wouldnt do mesa either, its a bad area. UNLESS its east mesa..... VERY FAR EAST...
    MomNbabyGirl009

• I live in North phoenix and love the area we are at! Tempe is more of a college/party city, so depending on your lifestyle, it may either be a good thing or a bad thing! I agree with MomNbabygirl009, queen creek is a very pretty town and its growing constantly! Scottsdale is very very nice but it is just ridiculously expensive! Im looking to move in November and we will be staying in the North Phoenix area! Good luck to you!!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I lived in Phoenix for 9 years, but haven't been back for about 5 since we moved, so while I can no longer suggest certain areas because I don't know how things might have changed. I can tell you that it's for the most part, great. I loved it there and would move back in a second. So much of Phoenix is beautiful. It's so scenic, and there is SO much to do. The weather isn't even all that bad. Yea, the temperatures get high, but there is almost zero humidity, so it never feels THAT hot. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Thanks for all the feedback!

My parents live in El Mirage and seem to like it. I have noticed though that they live in a newer subdivision surrounded by older, less nice homes. Anyone lived there?

I appreciate the feedback on Queens Creek. I will definitely have to look!

We aren't hoping to spend more than maybe $90k, but I would prefer something a little newer. I don't need a party city. I would prefer something a little more family-oriented and quiet. I hope to create some kind of kiddie group that my daughter can play in, or join an existing one.
    OmbreGracieuse

Comment by OmbreGracieuse (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2010