Questions about toddler's teeth - toothpaste / dentist?

When should you take your little one to the dentist for the first time? Also, at what age should you start using regular toothpaste for their teeth??

crystalbean2

Asked by crystalbean2 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When they start getting teeth and can sit still for someone to look at them. Most dentists reccommend age of 3. And keep using the toddler toothpaste without fluroid until they can learn to spit rather than swallow it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Our dentist said he likes to see the kids at 1. He keeps trying to convince the pedi's to tell the parents at the 1 year well visit that they should make a dentist appt. Anyway, we took both of ours at 2. Wish I would have gotten there sooner with both b/c they both had cavities already at 2. I should have learned my lesson after the first one, but our second was in the hospital for a while and we had other issues to worry about so dentist wasn't #1 on our list.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 3:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• BTW...we always used fluoride-free toothpaste daily and they still got cavities. I don't want you to think we didn't take care of their teeth! Apparently, they both have deep grooves in their teeth and should never eat anything gummy.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• A lot of general dentists won't see kids until about 3 years old, but pediatric dentists usually want to see them earlier, closer to 1 year and definitely by 2 years. So you'll have to ask your dentist when s/he'd be willing to see your child.

I've been using regular toothpaste on my 3 year old since he started asking to use "Daddy toothpaste", probably around 2 years. I don't give him much, about half a pea-sized dollop, so it won't hurt him if he swallows it (recommended amount is a pea-sized dollop, so it won't hurt them if they swallow it, but I err on the side of caution and use less), and I remind him to spit afterwards, even though I know most of it gets swallowed.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I believe average time to take them to dentist is when they are 1.. or have their first tooth... and as for regular toothpaste i think under 3 you use the toddler kind
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• most denists won't take kids until they are three or have all of their teeth. use a special toddler toothpaste
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• "regular" toothpaste shouldn't be used before 2 years of age...which is normally around the time when you can take your LO for their first appointment.
    our son is 19 months, and we use special toothpaste for toddlers (doesn't contain flouride). and we brush his teeth twice a day everyday, mostly for him to get used to it.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• But my pediatrician said that the infant toothpaste is basically pointless and that a wet cloth or wet toothbrush does the same thing. Is toddler toothpaste different than infant toothpaste????

crystalbean2

Comment by crystalbean2 (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• my view on toothpaste with fluoride is that, if fluoride is too poisonous to swallow, then you shouldn't have it in your house, let alone your mouth!
    we use a fluoride free toothpaste.
    i have a friend that brushes with water, but then uses some sort of natural dental rinse. i am not sure what the ingredients are.
    i think 3 is a good age for the dentist. i think you should stay regular, so there is no fear though!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I took my little one in maybe around 20 months (she fell and hit her teeth, was concerned, but she was fine) they said come back in 6 months, I'm going to take her in again soon probably. I've been using toddler toothpaste and a toothbrush for her for months now, she is 2, but sometimes like to suck the toothpaste off the toothbrush so I dont want to use regular toothpaste yet. I believe toddler and infant toothpaste is the same thing, just doesnt contain flouride like adult toothpaste. I dont consider it pointless because for one, she likes brushing her teeth when its flavored and also it still cleanses teeth more than water, its not just flouride in adult toothpaste that does the cleaning. Or thats my understanding anyway.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 5:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2010