Why are people offended by being voted down?

I have seen so much outrage over people voting down the answers of others. I don't understand what the issue is. We all give our opinions and then each person can either agree with that opinion (vote it up) or disagree with that opinion (vote it down). That is the way the answers board is set-up, so I'm just confused as to why it is causing so much backlash.

Thank in advance for sharing your opinions!

Erin814

Asked by Erin814 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in About CafeMom

• because they desire to be catered to, and have their opinions revered... I don't personally agree with the mindset, but that's just me.
    the ones whining about it are making it feel like we're back in primary.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Because it's all very biased but I suppose that most of this site is. It just seems strange that a very good answer will only get voted up 5 or 6 times but put an answer that it's the norm and it will be voted down 15 or 16 times.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Because that is not what the vote downs are for. The vote downs are a way to let cafemom know of rude or derogatory answers that need to be removed. Once you get -6 then your answer gets deleted. The vote downs are NOT to disagree with that person's opinion.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

I agree with Jeremysmom
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't care if someone votes me down. Do it all you want, I couldn't care less. It just makes me sick to see hypocrites who preach tolerance down voting someone who doesn't agree with them. I'm not a fan of hypocrites. Not to mention, the down cote option wasn't supposed to be for a difference of opinion, it's supposed to be fore RUDE or HATEFUL posts, or anything else that breaks the Cafemom rules.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You'll be able to vote up/down the answers that others give. And you only get so many vote downs, plus you only get to vote once per answer...So, I can't understand all the damn hoopla. People acting like kindergardeners.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I'm just confused as to why it is causing so much backlash.

The stated "intention" was to weed out rude or inappropriate answers. In reality, it's being used in place of the anon button as a silent flame against anyone people don't like or any statement (no matter how factual or polite) they disagree with. I don't think there would be a backlash if it were being used as intended. Instead it's being used by cliques to downvote anyone or anything they don't like. Welcome to Jr. High.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Because usually it means you think the other person is stupid.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• When I disagree with someone, I'm not thinking they are stupid.
    Erin814

Comment by Erin814 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• upsherises... wow... you just proved my point.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010