When can an infant go in a pool?

I have a 3 and a half month old and was wondering when I can take him in our pool (just to cool off a bit, totally covered). I've heard different things, and need some mommy advice. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can take an infant into water as soon as their umbilical stup has fallen off, and is completely healed.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• *stump
    ObbyDobbie

• I was told that 6 months was the safest age to introduce the pool because of the chlorine and dry skin issues.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yeah, i don't see any problem with it. Probably not for a long period of time and in the shade since you shouldn't put sunscreen on until they're at least 6 months!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• 6 months normally. They lack the ability to control their body temperature well until then, and you risk getting them dangerously cold.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• babies can go in water as soon as the cord is healed, just change them quickly afterward and you should be fine
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• if its outdoors just have the towel ready, put sunscreen on him before hand and get a sunhat sunshirt and shorts. and swim diapers lol. oly went swimming at 8 weeks
    mommyajay

Answer by mommyajay at 4:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• The pool is heated and I would definately keep him out of the sun at all times. My main concern is the chlorine. I'll check with my doc.
    MARCH2010MOM

Answer by MARCH2010MOM at 4:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My doc okayed my son after a month. It was hot here and he was cranky. She just said not to go much past his waist with thte water and to rinse the chlorine off of him after we were done. And obviously, watch like a hawk for them getting cold.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would wait until at least 6 months for a public pool, but I took my son in at my mom's house at 3 months.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2010