Breastfeeding in Public

I want to feel comfortable breastfeeding in public, but I just don't! Now, I either wind up giving him a bottle of formula when I am out somewhere (once of twice a week) or I go sit in the car, under a blanket and breastfeed. I feel rediculous, because it it such a natural thing, but even when I am being discreet, I just feel uncomfortable. I breastfed my baby when my best friend was over, under a blanket, and I still felt embarassed! It doesn't bother me when I see other women breastfeeding, so I don't know why I am so shy about it...
Any tips on feeling comfortable breastfeeding in public? Please don't critisize, I'm trying my best!

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Practice makes perfect. The only way to get comfortable doing it is by doing it.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Some mothers just can't get comfortable. The only thing I can say is as you and baby get better at it, it won't feel as uncomfortable since you won't be fumbling to get latched on. Find all the dressing rooms that you can and nurse there when you need to.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• yep, I agree

start out by trying in a secluded area, or when it isn't very busy

you can nurse in dressing rooms as well if you still are not comfortable
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• All I can say, is just do it.

Seriously, grab a heavy blanket and sit under it for 20 minutes to eat a filling meal, and in a very warm room... your whole view will be changed. THAT is how your baby feels when they are covered up.

I know for some it's hard, but you should also understand that you attract MORE attention when you use a nursing cover.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I never BF in public, I would always go to the car or mothers room etc. That was just my personal preference. Overtime I got used to BF right before we went somewhere etc. I had a hard time adjusting to all of it.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• start going to some LLL meetings. Being around so many breastfeeding moms will help you a ton!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I knew I wasn't the only one. I actually came up with a hunger poncho. it's just a yard of material with a triangle in a corner, facing the same way as the corner. It helped me out a great deal, but I never did get completely over it. All I can say is best of luck!
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• A nursing bra and a shirt that covers your chest and lifts from under the breast so your belly is covered helps. Or you can wear a nursing tanktop under a side opening nursing shirt. As long as your upper chest is covered you may feel more confident.

Heck, if half the diners and waitresses have their cleavage out and their thing showing, i figured i was the modest one!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I hear you. I am fine BF at a relatives house now a days, but I won;t do it in public either. Luckily I pump a lot, so I can take a bottle of expressed milk on my outings. My breasts are just too damn huge to even cover nicely, lol.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think it is fine to do it in public, but you have to feel ok about. I think the more you do the more comfortable you will feel. I was in the mall shopping and my child started to cry and my breast started to feel all tingly and I wasn't going to let the place I was in stop me from releasing the milk that was starting to let down. I have never gotten a dirty look either, I think it is natural. You will be ok.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010