Has anyone else with a challenged child....

dealt with them freaking out..I mean core meltdown over losing teeth? My grandson just lost his second one and now has a two tooth gap on the bottom. He is absolutely beside himself. Kind of a tough day for both of us..when he's this upset he's glued to me. Anyone else seen this? Telling him it's part of growing up to be a big boy has only made it worse.

GrnEyedGrandma

Asked by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son with autism went into meltdown mode the first time he lost a baby tooth. I wrote a social story to help explain to him. Something like " I lost a baby tooth. I will get a new tooth in it's place. It won't take long for my new tooth to come in. I will be fine. As I grow up, I will have more baby teeth come out and new teeth will come in their place. I need to brush my teeth and take good care of them. I need to eat healthy foods and not alot of sweets to keep my teeth healthy." I hope this helps you. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My son with autism gets a kick out of losing teeth. He thought it would be freak-out city,but no,he surprised us! You need to bring on the bribes big time!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have a challenging child.. although he's only 2-1/2 I know far too well about the meltdowns over the smallest of issues - more and beyond just toddler tantrums or fits too - I see my future in your story though - lol!! some children I think are just far more sensitive than others
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Hugs! Yes, sometimes it does not take much to set them off, what seems like a simple thing to us can be a very traumatic event for them and it does take time for some of them to get used to things (like missing teeth).
    When my son starts to meltdown (he has Autism) we go into his calming techniques-- taking 5 deep cleansing breaths and then I give him a sour candy (sucking on that helps him focus) and then I give him some space to cool down. Talking to him when he is in 'meltdown mode' is not a good thing and a lot of times will make it worse. When he is calm we talk about what happened.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Awe, poor sweetie! Hang in there gramma!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Sensitive would be the word for him. Yesterday it was meltdown because he found a dead ladybug. We did a unit in school on ladybugs so now he thinks they are his personal responsibility..lol. It's funny and it's not. My brain is ready to explode. The problem with bribes is it tends to increase behaviors in him. It also makes his sister jealous. It's a hard balancing act.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Comment by GrnEyedGrandma (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• TY MizLee. Those are much the same techniques I use..except it's a peppermint.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Comment by GrnEyedGrandma (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Thats a great idea Robsmommy.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Comment by GrnEyedGrandma (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010