How much time do you allow?

Several of my kids have recently become interested/obsessed with being on the computer or playing video games. I am curious to find out how much time other moms allow their kids to be on the computer or playing video games in 1 day. The ages of my kids that want to be on the computer or playing video games are as follows : 14, 12, 8, 7, and 5.
So at these different ages, how much time do you allow? How much is too much?

Thanks in advance :)
Hope everyone had a safe and happy 4th of July :)

kiddosX8

Asked by kiddosX8 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• We haven't been limiting the time for our 8 and 5 1/2 yr old because they were wrapped up with enough other things that their electronics time was already fairly contained on its own. However, when summer break got started this year, so did a new obession with Club Penguin for them both. It was time to set parameters. We still don't have a limit though. What we have is an 'earning' structure. For every 10 pages of a chapter book or novel they earn 10 minuets of "screen time." If it's a smaller book - like a picture book or one of those step-into-reading books - they earn 10 mintues for a book or two based on it's size. For every 10 minutes of physical activity, they earn 10 minutes on the PC. They both look for ways to "earn" now and, without realizing it, spend more time earning minutes that actually using minutes. LOL! I wave the earning requirement for educational sites and research.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 8:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't limit really, as long as I see he limits himself somewhat. My son also doesn't just play the games, he has made a forum website, he researches things, he is playing a very hard learning government game now and he taught himself tt play a few songs on the guitar and "my heart will go on" on the keyboard recently. All just being on the computer.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• none my kids are 2 and 4, my son just watches tv alot, but this year he will be in school so im not worried
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We use computer activities during our homeschooling day. I have a daily 45 minute block of time set-up for my son to either utilize the computer, complete unfinished projects, and watch an educational DVD.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My son has trouble reading. He plays a few online games that require him to read, so I just let him go for it. I figure any reading is better than no reading. He usually gets bored within an hour or so and moves on to something else.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 4:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i think kids should be outside more than inside, but i think no more than a hour or 2 on the computer, then tv same thing, but if they are watching it with you then thats different, but same for video games.
    sweetheart1207

Answer by sweetheart1207 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My daughter is actually under doctor's orders to play her gameboy for at least an hour a day. She is 8 years old. She has an eye disorder called exotropia and playing her gameboy helps her to pull her eyes in to focus which is what she needs to do. So I have a hard time telling her she can't play at some points. My other children are allowed to play as well but we usually cut it off after about 2 hours tops in a day. I would let them outside more but with our weather lately I worry more about heat exhaustion than how much play time they are getting. We have been over 95 the last 3 days with humidity of at least 75%. It is not outside kid weather.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 4:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• They're old enough where I would give them all the same amount of time.
    I would let them pick the time of day they wanted to play PC/Console games and allow them two hours (no more) for both. Not two hours for each, but two hours for both. They can choose one hour in the morning, one hour at night, or both at once it's up to them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I allow 30 minutes a day of computer games for my 3 yo.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My kids are 10, 8, 7 and 4 and aren't allowed to touch our computers for various reasons.

We have a Wii and a DS.  They occasionally get to play each.  It is not every day.  Maybe once a week if they behave.  They all have to share both.  The DS usually only comes out once a month and they get all day to play if they share it.  The Wii comes out once a week or so only if they are beahving.  As soon as they start fighting over it I take it away.

They watch a lot TV, though.  I usually just let them watch whatever for however long they are quiet.  But in the summer I require them to spend most of their day outside playing.  Today it's super hot so the girls are inside watching TV, one is playing the DS and my son is outside playing with his friend.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2010