What do you do?

What do you do when your kids are fighting? My oldest daughters (8 and 7) are constantly fighting. Right now they are in their room together and I told them they have to stay in there and figure out how to get along because this is ridiculous! I know they are tired of each other and ready to get back to school and everything, but they need to learn how to get along together!

My3LittleGirls

Asked by My3LittleGirls at 4:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They have to learn to deal with conflict, it's part of growing up. I would stay out of it except to make sure they don't disrespect each other, or are being mean. In our house, no one is allowed to name-call or make fun of anyone else or there is a punishment.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It's true that siblings don't get along all the time. I would allow them to do things for themselves personally like reading, enjoying music, doing their nails, grooming their hair, etc. They don't need to play together all the time. And if they each have their own friends to go to the park, listen to music, etc. they will spend less time fighting.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If they're tired of one another then tell them to find something to do apart. They don't actually have to spend time together or even in the same room. Tell them to go outside, go find a friend to play with, or to find a hobby to do by themselves.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Force them to stay apart. That's what I do with my kids, but they are spaced farther apart than your daughters. It never lasts long, maybe two hours, but usually one of them goes in with the other and they're happy to be together again.
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 5:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I agree, seperate them. My oldest will say Mom, you need to seperate us, she's nervin' me... LOL....reckon where they get that from ! Then 20 or 30 min. later they are running around chasing each other.
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 10:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I don't force them to play together all the time by the way. Just wanted to make sure that everyone knew that! They each have things that they can do apart and usually do apart but for some reason they still fight over everything else.
    My3LittleGirls

Comment by My3LittleGirls (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010