Carpet Cleaning

Okay I posted a question the other day asking how often people shampoo their carpets. A lady said that you are only supposed to shampoo carpets once or twice a year because of mold growth and such. My question is then how in the world do you keep your carpets clean? I have 3 kids (ages 3, 7, and 8) and lighter colored carpet and it seems like it always gets dirty. So what should I do to clean it without shampooing?

My3LittleGirls

Asked by My3LittleGirls at 4:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Shampooing once or twice a year??? Really?? My son has allergies and we shampoo about once a month.
    We have the same rule, no shoes, but my kids spill everything, color, paint, everything has been on the carpet.
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 5:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• How about a new rule, No shoes in the house! We don't wear shoes in the house. When people come to visit, they know the rule too. If they don't, I tell them. I have tons of cushy slippers for everyone at the door. We don't have to clean our rugs. I vacuum multiple times a week. Once a week in the bedrooms & 2-3 times a week in the baths, kitchen (tile), den, living room, foyer & stairs.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I shampoo at least once every couple of months.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I tried doing the whole no shoes on the carpet but my husband doesn't like that. He said that he wants to be able to do whatever he wants in our house. Which I completely understand! Besides, he is the head of the household and whatever he says goes here. However, it isn't the mud or dirt off of shoes, it is the spilling from other things that gets on the carpet.

I too shampoo once a month normally but when I posted a question asking how often do you shampoo your carpets and I posted that I shampoo once a month a lady said that she and her husband own a carpet cleaning business and was saying that you are supposed to shampoo only once or twice a year. When I asked her what to do between shampooings she didn't answer. So I have no idea! LOL I figure that I'll shampoo once a month anyway though.
    My3LittleGirls

Comment by My3LittleGirls (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2010