Would you??

Would you throw a 50th anniversary party for your parents, and mention on the invite that it is DUTCH STYLE, meaning you expect each guest you've INVITED to pay for their own meal?

Is that okay or tacky? Just wanting opinions.

KairisMama

Asked by KairisMama at 4:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If you don't want to pay for your guests, then I would approach it as "Join us! We're all going to meet up to celebrate Mom & Dad's anniversary on X date at X time at Y Restaurant. If you can join us, RSVP so we can reserve sufficient seating. We will be providing cake and ice cream. A full menu of food and beverages are available for purchase."
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 4:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• mmmmm,I wouldn't. Paying their own bar tab yes,meal no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Mmmm if you expect them to pay their own then it is better to let them know ahead of time. Can you just rent a hall cheaply at your church or something and do it as bring a dish to pass instead?
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 4:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• not tacky to me
    maybe if some members invited that you know can not afford, you may make other arrangements for a few?
    or pick a place that people can afford
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If you're throwing a party at a restaurant then it's only right for the hosts to pay. Yes, times have changed and a lot of parties pay seperately. However, I think in that sense it is old fashioned and should be left to the host. That's my personal opinion.

If you're having it at home, then you would call it a Potluck and that is when each guest brings their own dish. A potluck is a years old tradition and is perfectly fine. Actually prefered anymore.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My personal opinion, is it's very tacky to invite a guest anywhere and ask them to pay for their meal.
    So, I wouldn't do it personally....i've not seen it done either. I've seen "potluck" events...but not dutch.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I'm not throwing the party. This is the invite I got in the mail from one of my relatives. They booked a nice restaurant for this event. I was a bit shocked at the DUTCH STYLE personally.

KairisMama

Comment by KairisMama (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Definitely tacky.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Thats gonna be hell on the waitstaff! Multiple separate tabs.....So who pays what for the tip then? Or is this a thing where they order a buttload of food and each person/couple pays X amount?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I heard they have rented a room in the restaurant and we will all get a menu. I am not sure how the waitstaff will handle it, for yes it will be a bunch of seperate bills.
    KairisMama

Comment by KairisMama (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2010