Is a Potluck, BYOB Bridal shower weird? Tacky? Odd?

I was invited to bridal shower that is also a potluck & BYOB. So I'm supposed to bring food, booze, and a present?

I know I will also be invited to the wedding. While I plan to attend the wedding, I'm unsure about the bridal shower.

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 4:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• Maybe they spent to much on the actual wedding, lol. I do think it is tacky to do all that plus a gift.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I was invited to a wedding that had a potluck & BYOB reception to follow. Yep and a gift too.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I could understand a bridal shower that was potluck. In fact, that would be kinda fun. I love potlucks. However, a bridal shower with booze is not something I would be interested in attending. Usually bridal showers are for friends, relatives, etc. Booze and relatives, IMO, don't mix. I would save the booze for something like a bachelorette party.   I say the potluck thing because no matter what event my relatives have, it's always potluck.  There are just way too many of us to expect one person to cook for all.  My aunts usually all get together and bring a dish to weddings, showers, graduations, funerals, etc. 

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would bring a very token gift or even a regift LOL
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 4:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You don't bring presents to a bridal shower I thought. It's supposed to be like a bachelour party but for the ladies.
    I think they're trying to get off on the cheap, which is fine, but I wouldn't bring a gift.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• well, there's dishes you can make that are inexpensive. I've heard of stuff like this, but I personally wouldn't throw one.
    If you want to go, then I'd just go and try to have a good time.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I always heard that you bring presents to a shower- that's the idea of a shower- to 'shower' the bride with gifts.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I am in the minority here; I think that showers have evolved into tacky events.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I was always taught you bring food OR drink to a party, not both. If it's a party in which gifts are expected, you don't bring food OR drinks.
    mancosmomma

Comment by mancosmomma (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• When I had my bridal shower, my Maid of Honor and I provided all the food and drink. When I had a baby shower, my MIL and I provided all the food and drink. I've never been to a potluck OR BYOB shower, much less one that is both.
    mancosmomma

Comment by mancosmomma (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010