Is this visitation hard on a two year old?

So we had a bit of a battle with the Parenting Plan, but I desperatly just wanted to get the divorce done so I finally agreed to it. Now that things are done I'm really seeing how bad that may have been to agree to it, I didnt know what else to do cause I can't afford another lawyer and mine wasn't really helping me out. So my ex has our DD for a couple of weeks with me getting a 3 hr visit in the middle and then I get her for a weekend at the end of those two weeks, they have her another week and then i get her for 2 weeks with them getting a weekend in the middle, they get her 2 weeks with my 3 hr visit in the middle and then a weekend after the 2 weeks and they get her another week, so in total its like they have her 6 weeks of the summer. This is the plan for his summer visitation, he practically gets her all summer, my mom tells me to talk to a child phsycologist because that is hard on a 2 year old.

stargazerwolf

Asked by stargazerwolf at 5:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes that is hard on a little one. Now if she was 7 or 8, it might not matter as much but for a 2 year old, a week without mommy or daddy is hard.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think your mom is right.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Who was your child's advocate that represented them and let this mess happen? I'm so sorry she wasn't represented and protected. This sounds crazy.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 5:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Just adding more, I hate having her gone that much, its very hard on me, I'm sure its hard on her, and she is starting to really act up when she comes back (pretty sure they give her whatever she wants when shes there). It also makes it very difficult to do potty training. Have you ever heard of visitation like this? I do have medicaid so I'm thinking maybe I should go get an opinion from a child phsycologist (cause I couldn't afford it on my own) do you think this is necessary? I barely know what to do with myself with her being gone so long and I did try to fight this when we wrote the Parenting Plan but with no help from my lawyer (basically said just give it to them) I couldn't do much beings I can't afford another lawyer. So what should I do now?
    stargazerwolf

Comment by stargazerwolf (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes, it is hard on a two year old. They need a primary home and it doesn't sound like this situation is giving that child a primary home. Talk to a child psychologist and see if you can change it so, that one of the parents has primary custody.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes, that's definitely too hard on a 2 year old! You need to work something else out!
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• thats a really crazy set up! i dont think i would have agreed to that- i would have set it up for maybe all of july he gets her then all of august u get her then in the fall u guys too weekend visitations- it just seems really unstable for a 2 yr old!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Wow you guys are quick, my lawyer is the most affordable in town, but I was told he was good, however like I said he didnt help much at all. I know the divorce is hard on my little one, and she was used to seeing me constantly beings I was a stay at home mom til the divorce (looking for work) so my mom thinks if I talk to a child physcologist that can give me reason to go back to court and get that changed even if my lawyer won't support me, guess I'd have to go at it alone, but maybe if I can get a phsycologist in there I can get it amended or something.
    stargazerwolf

Comment by stargazerwolf (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• oh and I should mention this is only summer visitation, during the rest of the year he just gets her every other weekend. But its going to make me and, probably my little one, hate summer.
    stargazerwolf

Comment by stargazerwolf (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Just thinking about it is hard on me & I'm 31! That's gotta go! She must be exhausted! Kids like routine, and that's not it. Get a psychologist involved! That has to be amended.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 9:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2010