Today my lil sister sent me a friend request

We have not spoken since 2007, my mom her and my other sis chose to not attend my wedding. Not because they disapproved of my hubby or my life style. They just didn't come because I had been keeping to myself and not attending family gatherings due to trying to avoid drama when my family drinks or just some of the rude comments they make and then later deny saying it etc...it's always something and I got tired of it and chose to keep my distance. We had been speaking somewhat prior to me getting married, but I noticed my mom and sister bringing up every little thing they could think of to start a conflict/argument. I could not allow them to bring me down at the time since it was my special time and I just told them they could attend or not their choice and they did not. Now I get a friend request from one of my sisters and I am still very hurt. They never apologized or even tried to speak to me after this. Should I except?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes, u can always delete her if she is rude or ugly.
    madcrazymom

Answer by madcrazymom at 5:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i would. and let her know how i still feel about it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Nope, just because you are born in to a family, does not mean you need to deal with their BS and bring you down..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It's up to you. You have to decide if you want to live the rest of your life without your family or if you want to give yourself a chance to get them back. I can tell you this much: unforgiveness is a forerunner of bitterness which leads to all kinds of unhappiness and even health problems. It will eventually spill over into the lives of everyone you hold dear.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Sometimes when it comes to family we have to be the bigger person. If you don't accept you're going to be rejecting her from your life......if you do accept then you might have to deal with some of the drama but at least it will be on here and you can ignore it. If you would eventually like a relationship with her than you should accept it but ultimately you are the only one that can make this decision!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 5:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I'd accept if you want to, but you may be reading too much into it. She may not be doing this to restart a relationship, but she may just be someone who likes to round up a lot of friends on her list.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Take the first step and make a fresh start. Its your little sister. She may be extending an olive branch in her own say. If things heat up and you find it isn't working out, then remove her. I hope this works out for you. Life is so short and you don't want any regrets. You can keep it within your control. Hats off to you for trying to do the right thing. And I'm sorry they chose not to attend your wedding. It is something you will always remember. Enjoy your life with your husband. Hugs to you.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 5:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I add people I might not want to add, just to give them a chance. And know that I can always delete them afterward. And I have deleted them afterward if they have caused any drama or shown any reason we shouldn't be on the same page together.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• yeah give her a chance but tell her how u feel- im going through something with my sister now but were friends on facebook but the moment she starts acting up ill delete her or limit her access to my page
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Is there any way you can just message her back and find out what her true intentions are behind this friend request? Let her know that you find it odd that she is looking for you after all this time and what has brought the change, make it clear that your life hasn't changed. If it were me, I would want to have that conversation first before I denied or accepted.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010