Is my baby going to be OK??????

I just found out this morning I'm pregnant. So bittersweet.. I'm recooperating form a Shingles flare-up and I've been on alot of meds. Including Loratab, Darvocet, Blephamide ointment and Polymyxin/Dexamethasone eye drops. (this flare up was on my face and eye so painful that I was taking pain meds every few hours for 4 days.) I'm so scared something will be wrong with this baby. Yes this was unplanned... Anyone else ever been through this. The Blephamide ointment specifically mentions cleft lip and palate birth defects when taken during pregnancy....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Health

• I would really call your Dr ... I would think the potential of defects would be risen for sure..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I'm not a Dr. That's who u should be talking to. I hope everything will be ok.
    madcrazymom

Answer by madcrazymom at 5:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• you should get to a doctor soon. have them run prenatal tests. they can detect some things early so you can atleast prepair yourself for them.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yeah, and stop taking it; especially the one that causes the cleft palate. Do you know how pregnant you are? How could you be having sex with shingles? Goodness! I wouldn't want anyone within 30 feet of me.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 5:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I haven't personally experienced this, but I can imagine how scary it must be for you. I think you should talk to your doc asap. Usually in the beginning of a pregnancy, the baby's development isn't effected. Look at how many people drink and take medications without knowing they're pregnant and their babies turn out fine. Try not to stress too much, because stress is harmful to your baby. Congratulations on your little blessing, and I pray that everything turns out well for you hun
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 5:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• the time when babies are most at risk from harm is 6-9 weeks - i'm guessing you are not quite there yet if you just found out (i.e. most people know around 4-5 weeks, right after a missed period). don't worry too much.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• call the doc and see what they say. u will most likely be considered high risk because of the meds. in june 06 i fell down a flight of stairs and that on top of crushed vertabrea in my back had me on alot of meds. oxycotten, trazadone and ibprofin. i took alot of pregnancy test blood and pee, all neg. then in oct 06 i felt something in my belly to a test and it was postivie. went to the er and i found out i was 5 months along. they did alot of test and said even with all the meds i was still taking that the baby was fine. ds is 3 now and he is fine except for asthma. with dd i was on antidepressants until i found out i was 11 weeks stopped all meds and she was born with sleep apnea. she is almost 21 months now and she has asthma also but other then that fine. so call ur doc and see what they say
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 9:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2010