Do you think this could be why people down voted the "yes" response in the question about gay marriage?

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/445392/How_is_racial_discrimination_different_from_discrimination_based_on_ones_sexual_orientation?cat_id=&order=&next=11

Many people think of sexual orientation discrimination and racial discrimination are the same thing. So many of the moms who responded, voted based on that belief.
She would have gotten the same response if the question had to do with black people having the right to get married, only nobody would be defending her.

So what do you think?

Could somepne please make my link clickable, I would like to stay anon so my screenname doesn't effect the answers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i think people down voted her because they did not agree.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/445392/How_is_racial_discrimination_different_from_discrimination_based_on_ones_sexual_orientation?cat_id=&order=&next=11

There's your clickable link and you made an interesting point.  Any one stating that inter-racial couples shouldn't marry would be considered to be discriminating against those couples. Why would it be different in regards to sexual orientation?

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Maybe everyone has there own thoughts.
    madcrazymom

Answer by madcrazymom at 5:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I suspect a lot of moms who see a difference in the two types of discrimination aren't willing to answer and get voted down again.

Here's your link http://www.cafemom.com/answers/445392/How_is_racial_discrimination_different_from_discrimination_based_on_ones_sexual_orientation?cat_id=&order=&next=11

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't see any difference in the two types. I think they are all wrong!
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Discrimination is discrimination, it doesn't matter if it is based on skin color, sexual orientation, religion, gender, zip code, income, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think people downvoted because they know damn well nobody can see who downvoted and it gave them their jr high thrill for the day. Otherwise they would've just copied and pasted her response and either said they disagree or asked for a reason why.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i found a difference

you can hide your sexual orientation - if you wanted to
    but rarely can you hide your race

some people may discriminate on both race and sexual orientation (gay)
    years ago it was race, gays were almost always in the closet so a person could not hate against them as easy

now, it is preet rare to be a rasist at least out right in open, but still ok to hate gay peaople
    that is my differences that i see
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think people downvoted because they know damn well nobody can see who downvoted and it gave them their jr high thrill for the day.

But you can't dictate how others will use their down-votes. In many cases it will be used as a means to show a disagreeance with opinion. That's how it works on every other site, it should have been pretty obvious the same would happen here. We still have the report button for answers that violate TOS. Everything else will simply be a reflection of opinions and that includes down-votes, up-votes and bumping questions.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2010