Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When is it time to file for Child Support?

Recently, my child's father and I broke up after a ten year relationship. Since then I have been unable to get in contact with him. Last week he decided not to pay her child care and has not returned any of my calls or text message. We do not have any ammosity towards each other nor has any angry calls or text messages been exchanged. Without any knowledge of what is going on I am wondering is it time for me to file for child support. To ensure my daughter's child care is paid for. Please give any advice or suggestions.


Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (13)
  • I would continue trying to get a hold of him for the next week and then contact Friend of the Court. Do you know for sure he is ok and not in the hospital or something?

    Answer by jamesonjustines at 5:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • Child support is generally filed for at the same time as the divorce papers are filed.

    Answer by other_mother at 5:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • now do it now!! ur gonna have to wait along time any ways, iv waited for a year now and still dont get anything!

    Answer by DeeMarie87 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • NOW!
    I would have been at the child support office last week when he didn't pay and stopped returning phone calls!

    Answer by DarkFaery131 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • Yesterday. Get it started because it takes a few months.

    Answer by madcrazymom at 5:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • I think that at some point or another you will have to resort to that decision. I waited 8 years before I took my son's bio dad for child support, partially because I didn't want or need his money but I realized that he had an obligation to our child just like I did. Unfortunately in the state of AZ they can only apply arrears back to 3 years, I lost out on 5 years of child support. Please do not wait too long to get the process going. It took me approximately 3 or 4 months to even get a court hearing because he did not want to be found, another month just to start receiving it after the orders. Good luck.


    Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • Now I would say but he won't have to pay all of her childcare, just half, but you can supplement the other half with his payments

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • Having him pay without going thru the court is fine, as long as he is paying. Now that he has not paid child care and you can not find him--it's time to file.

    Answer by layh41407 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • Even though the two of you are in a "agreement" over child support you should still file for it. When you get it you can make your official child support what the two of you agreed upon that way both of you are happy with it. But it should go through the courts so there is a paper trail in case this kind of thing happens again. You should file right away, after all, child support is not about "getting even with an ex" but about him helping to provide for his child.

    Answer by colethky at 5:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • I would now also.
    I went through a divorce 4 years ago and just NOW started getting $600 a month.
    No matter how good a relationship or friendship is.

    Answer by JLynn0871 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
Down payment

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
Why are you voting down?