My 16 month old is still drinking out of a bottle at night and in the morning. How bad is this and what are some good tips to get her off of it??

mccullough08

Asked by mccullough08 at 1:38 AM on Sep. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Crying is the best answer. Throw all bottles away and let the baby cry. It may take 3 days or it may take 8 months. Eventually it will not cry anymore for a bottle. Most other people on her say that and recommend ear plugs to drown out the crying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• IT IS BAD FOR THIER TEETH. IF THERE IS MILK IN IT OR SOMETHING ELSE IT CAN ROT THEIR TEETH, BUT SO CAN WATER. THE BEST THING TO DO IS THROW THEM ALL AT ONCE. IT IS GOING TO BE A VERY HARD COUPLE OF DAYS ~ I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO LIE TO YOU. IT WILL MORE THAN LIKELY TAKE ABOUT 3 DAYS. I DOUNBT IT WILL TAKE LESS THAN THAT, BUT IT IS UNLIKELY THAT IT WILL TAKE LONGER EITHER. CHILDREN USUALLY TAKE 3 DAYS TO LEARN A ROUTINE. I DON'T MEAN TO SEEM PUSHY BUT YOU NEED TO GET THAT BABY OFF THAT BOTTLE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE (IN MY OPINION OF COURSE.) I'M NOT A DOCTER BUT I WAS TOLD BY MY DAUGHTERS PEDI THAT THEY SHOULDNT HAVE A BOTTLE IN BED CAUSE IT IS BAD FOR THEIR TEETH, SO THAT IS WHERE I GOT THE INFORMATION. I BRUSH MY DAUGHTER'S TEETH BEFORE SHE GOES TO BED TOO, SO GIVING HER SOMETHING TO PUT HER TO BED WITH WOULD BE POINTLESS FOR ME REALLY. GOOD LUCK, AND HANG IN THERE.
    alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 2:20 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• well how to do it is just take it away and let them cry it out. It will not hurt them to cry. If you don't get that baby off now it will have major teeth problems. I wouldn't even give them a sippy before bed. Let your child drink out of a cup before you lay them down. That way it will be easier.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 6:33 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• Well you don't want them drinking milk for their teeths sake...but I let mine have it with water at that age and gradually got them off of it. I have 3 girls and they all did fine...most Pedi's will tell you age 1 you should stop. Was easier said than done for me!
    BonJovilover

Answer by BonJovilover at 6:38 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• Bottles are not the ultimate evil that everyone wants to make them into these days. Most people my age (26) took bottles at bedtime until they were 2. But if you really want your LO off the bottle - I'm guessing you are offering milk/breastmilk/some kind of toddler formula - you could start gradually adding water to what's in the bottle (7 oz milk, 1 oz water, then 6 to 2, so on) while still offering full strength milk in a sippy, then do the same thing to switch to water in the sippy. The soft-spouted Nuby sippy cup is very helpful for some babies to drop the bottles completely, in mine and my friends' experiences. Or you could just switch cold-turkey to either water in the bottles, milk in the sippy, or water in the sippy. My 2.5 y/o loves his sippy water after we brush teeth in the evening!
    MacMama

Answer by MacMama at 7:36 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• I am telling ya it is harder on you the them. The best thing to do it cut it out cold turkey. When we weened my son from the bottle we just did it and man it was hard. He didnt like it at first and we gave in a few times, but finally we just stop giving it to him and he started to take the sippy cup and hasnt wanted it since. It took us a few types of sippys to find on he liked to drink out of. Just know it is harder on you then them. Good luck!!!
    BoobiePrize

Answer by BoobiePrize at 8:01 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• Are you people NUTS? It will NOT rot out thier teeth if they have a bottle of MILK in the AM and in the PM...........My son is 22 months and still gets a bottle at night BEFORE he goes to bed. He doesn't sleep with it, just has it while I rock him.........Listen to Macmomma and Boobie prize...Hell, we had our son on the advanced formula until he was 18 months! My son also brushes his teeth before bed...............A bottle or 2 a day isn't going to mess up thier teeth. If the kid is CONSTANTLY walking around with a bottle in his mouth, I suppose it's possible.....If you really feel like CIO it the best answer, then fine, it's your kid, but I think it's a horrible way to go about things........
    ZachsMom1106

Answer by ZachsMom1106 at 8:21 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• It won't rot their teeth but it will make their teeth protrude just like sucking their thumb. A good way to get them off of the bottle is to find some new baby animal, (like a cow or puppy) and tell them that you are giving their bottles to them, because they need it more and tell them that it is time to give it to them because they are a big boy now. There is going to be some crying so get ready, but don't give in. Stick with it or you will have it to do all over again later and then it will even be worse.
    My friend put pepper sauce on the nipple of all of the bottles, so they give it up on their own.
    Try a cup of water or milk before he brushes his teeth at bedtime and get him a big boy bed. Praise him when he accomplishes going to bed without a bottle.
    Good luck.
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 8:33 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• Wow...i never had a problem with any of my kids. At 12 mos I took their bottles away. I did gradually introduce the sippy to them with formula in it at about 10mos. So by the time they were 12 mos old they really didn't mind. It did take some time getting used to for them but they never cried about it. Oh and I never ever let my kids have a bottle or sippy in bed. That's like a security blanket and I'd rather them have a blanket or stuffed animal for that. Good luck in whatever you do. If you get frustrated go somewhere quiet and breathe for a min.
    chrissi0103

Answer by chrissi0103 at 8:33 AM on Sep. 30, 2008

• i just want to tell you, I am a dental assistant and have seen first hand what "bottle rot" can do!! Take that bottle away, espcially at night! When your child falls asleep drinking (milk, juice ect) the sugars in it just sit on their teeth....ALL NIGHT!!!
    MadsMom04

Answer by MadsMom04 at 8:38 AM on Sep. 30, 2008