How do I handle "I 'm bored" from my 6year old son this summer?

nathansmom32004

Asked by nathansmom32004 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give him water balloons to play with outside..He'll have fun and its cheap...lol
    Princesaof1

Answer by Princesaof1 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• When my ss's were younger, I kept a list of chores on the fridge. When ever I heard "I'm bored" they had to pick one of the chores and do it to relieve their boredom.

They stopped telling me they were bored really fast.

laughing

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• sounds like we're all having the same problem! I've been giving my 8 year old jobs around the house everytime he doesn't have something to do. I'm hoping he'll figure it out soon!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i agree with layh

there are always chores that can be done.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• The Navy taught me to never say that I was bored because there was always something that needed to be done lol. Just do what the pp's suggested and give him some chores to do. He'll learn how entertain himself lol
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 6:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Sometimes I start with "Well, what would you like to do?" Sometimes I offer up really silly suggestions - it's not meant to be real and they know it, but it gets them thinking and they come up with a new plan on their own. Create a "boredom" box. Find a variety of activities, crafts, books, etc that aren't the norm. When they get bored, offer them the box. BEFORE bored becomes a topic of conversation, ask him what sorts of things he likes to do and then make a list. If he complains, then tell him to pick something of his own list. You could do chores - but honestly, we do those on a regular basis as it is and I'd rather them be a 'norm.' It works for some. Not for us though. My kids "earn" their PC time after it was clear it's all they'd do some days. When they're "bored" i tell them to go earn minutes. They get 10 minutes for 10 pages read or 10 min for 10 mins of physical activity. They end up earning more than they use.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Check to see if any of your local attractions (kids' museums, amusement parks, science or art museums) offer "family free days" or "family discount days". Many of those around us do! Our local zoo is $1 on Wednesdays. Our local children's museum have family free night every 2nd Thurs. of the month. They do highly advertise these things, so you have to do a little research.
    mommyheymommy

Answer by mommyheymommy at 7:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I was going to mention the chores. When mine gets bored I drag out the a bucket of warm soapy water and scrub brush and send him to the kitchen floor. My kid is strange though, he actually likes doing that.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 7:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think that's a cue that your young man needs to learn how to entertain himself. You can, of course, provide him with some tools--books, crayons, a few toys--but let him figure out for himself how to become unbored. Not your responsibility.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Looks like you alkready got my answer.....Hand him a broom!! I have to tell you I even do that to my Hubs if he slips up and says that to me
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 8:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010