is it strange that we dont want more children?

we have decied that we only want out little boy who is 19 months old... for may reasons.. i grew up in a very large family and know how it is to not have one on one time both my parents worked also... he grew up in a small family and liked it... we just think we can do more with him and for him .... vacations, trips, college, ect... but we think that maybe one day in the future we will look into adoption... my SO is calling to set up and appt for a vasectomy...we feel it is right for us but other people think we are doing the wrong thing...

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 5:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Do what is best for you and your husband. You are the ones who have to live with the choice.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think you have to do what works for you and your family. People are always going to have their opinions but you feel the way you feel because you are in that situation. Personally me, I love having a big family, but like you said you have your reasons for wanting just the 3 of you and that's all that matters.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• How is that weird? I find it more strange when people want to have LOTS of kids. I am also happy with my one & DH & i have also talked about adoption later on in life if we feel the urge to have a little one after DD is all grown. I would rather give a chance to a child in need than to birth another one on my own. There are so many children in this world who need good homes.

I'm right with ya sister & no, it's not weird. I think it's very thoughtful of you.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would wait it out a bit before the vasec. It doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong, but it would be nice to have that option if you choose to do so. Its not weird to not want more children, but I think having 2 is better than one just so they can have someone to socialize with that is in the same childlike mindset when their friends are not around.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 5:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It's your decision and only your decision. Who cares what other people think? The two of you are the ones that will raise your children, provide for them and take care of them.......you are making the decision for yourselves, not everyone else. Go with your heart......
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 5:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• if it works best for your family then go for it!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Never worry what others think they probably thinking your to young and you might change your mind after awhile. My family thought I was nuts for not wanting anymore kids (try for the boy they said) 2 girls was enough for me and my husband I tied my tubes @ 26 and I know me and my husband made the right choice we both agreed we couldnt afford anymore and having 2 girls we are blessed Goodluck!
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 5:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't think you're doing the wrong thing. We have stopped at one, and the number works perfectly for us.

Other people can give their opinions, but ultimately it is you and your SO who are raising the child(ren) you produce.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We have decided this also - our max is going to get more opportunity than we did - we aren't financially "well off" to give him plus a sibling what we think he deserves so he will get it all - all of the little we have. But I know why you are asking this.. I get told all the time how horrible it is that I am not going to give Max a sibling and how selfish I am for making him an only child and that he will grow up to be spoiled and a brat.. Yes, its true.. people told me all of this after I said, No, we are happy having just one..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• The only weird thing is that ANYONE else thinks its their business. If they ask, DON'T TELL. It's RUDE of them to do so.

Nothing wrong with limiting your family size if that's what YOU want.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010