Why did YOU get married?

Seeing how marriage (gay marriage in particular) seems to be the topic of the day, I thought I would throw this out there...

I don't understand why Gay Marriage is such a hot topic... I mean, if you aren't gay, the issue really doesn't touch your personal life or marriage in any way. If you believe being Gay is wrong, okay, but how does gay marriage affect you then?

So, my question is, Why did YOU get married? And do you believe that your reasons for marriage would matter less if the couple involved was gay?

If you got married for Love - Shouldn't love be love be love, no matter who is in it? Isn't it better to be married for love than to live a lie with someone you don't love?

If you got married for Legal or Medical reasons - Doesn't denying a legal contract because of sexuality illegal?

If you got married for Religious reasons, what are they - cause I've honestly never heard any beyond "love."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I cannot think of any answer that could apply expect if you got married only to have babies. And if so, I hope both parties were fertility tested first.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I got married25 years ago for love been with 32 for the same reason there is no other reason than that
    butterflysmom

Answer by butterflysmom at 6:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I got married because I was and am still in love. I believe everyone has the right to be loved and to be in love.
    DazeDelights

Answer by DazeDelights at 6:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I got married for love, I didn't see myself without my husband in my life, I couldn't see anyone else being a father to my children, I couldn't see myself happier with anyone else.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I got married TOO damn young but thank GOD it worked out. A LOT of my friends didnt. I married because I lusted after him ;) I married to get OUT of my parents house! And I married because I thought I loved him. NOW I know I do. Looking back I know that was more puppy love. I think it takes getting through the tough times and the everyday nitty gritty to know what real love is! I dont care if gay people get married. My Aunt is a lesbian and has been with her partner longer than me and my dh have been together (11 yrs) and they are very happy. She lives in TX and seems very happy! I dont know how she feel on the topic we dont really discuss her sexuality. Its a part of who she is not all of who she is :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• :-) I got married to save on car insurance. He paid $500 per month because he was 19, single and newly licensed. So we got married in the courthouse and paid only $120 for the two of us. :-) No way we could have paid that much!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I love my husband, but our real reason for marriage was legal/medical. We were married so that my mother would have no say over my medical care should something happen during childbirth - because her beliefs would have stopped her from allowing them to give me blood. We have been married over 4 years and are very much in love, and plan to be for quite some time... Either way, I don't see why those reasons couldn't be 100% identical for anyone gay or not...

I can't think of a single thing that straight couples have that gay ones do not... or visa versa...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I didn't think I was going to get married, I saw many BAD ones...

I was with my hubby for years and he was my family. If I didn't have that feeling for him, I wouldn't have married him.

Also when I decided I may want kids one day, I knew I would only do it married...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• How closed minded, I dont need papers to tell hubby i love him. Marriage is for legality purposes. Back in the days there was no papers just knowledge of two peoples love.

We were already married in Gods eyes, we did it for legality reason, Vet insurance,life insurance etc..
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Mostly for immigration reasons. We knew we were going to get married eventually but if it weren't for immigration issues I don't think we would have married straight after college. Actually my hubby was planning to propose to me after graduation until he realized that that would mean delaying our migration. Of course we were in love too and certainly had every intention of staying together and getting married eventually but the timing came down to legal reasons.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2010