Do you/ Have you had a hound dog? would you recommend them for a family?

Looking to adopt a needy puppy this summer. our dog is 11 and we want her around to train the little one. there is one that i am stuck on, they know it is a hound mix. super cute! but i know nothing about the breed... if you do , please share.

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 6:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pets

• I had one and would not recommend one. But of course each person is different on how they feel about them. The one we had barked all the time. No matter what we did he would not shut up. Even in his sleep he would bark. I am glad that we had found a good home for him since he kept my son up as a baby all the time.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• mine was LOUD barked at EVERYTHING! he was basset & beagle and I don't know what else.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• my inlaws have beagles..i know they look alike but i'm not sure how similar they are exactly. I will tell you their cons..they have anal glands that need to be squeezed monthly, if you don't have it don't they leak all over the place. They bark and howl at EVERYTHING that walks past their house. They are also very territorial
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• *done
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I was raised with hound dogs. They are very lovable dogs, but they are considered hunters. They detect a smell and they will travel to find the smell, and they bay when they are on the scent. If you live in a less populated area then I would say yes but if you are in a crowded area I would think about another kind of dog.
    sheilagg

Answer by sheilagg at 6:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Wow, I'm surprised to see all of the negative experiences with hounds. We have a Basset Hound, and she is soooo sweet. She'll let my kids do anything to her. She loves to run and play with them, but she is not too hyper either. She also never barks! Our bulldog barks all the time, but the hound rarely does. Each dog is going to have a different personality regardless of their breed. From my experience with hounds, I would definitely recommend them.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 6:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have a beagle/basset mix and she's good. She doesn't bark a lot like some hounds and she's good with our 2 year old DD. She's really smart too, knows tons of tricks, not the most obedient dog though.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We have three hounds: a Red Tick, a Red Bone, and a Black & Tan. They are hunters but they are also wonderful pets. Contrary to what others have said, ours do not smell something and run away or bark all day. We have trained them not to bark. They are loving and gentle and I would recommend them as pets!!!
    cntrlut

Answer by cntrlut at 11:37 AM on Jul. 31, 2010