Honest question for Christians... or anyone else with a "holy text."

Do you believe that because YOU believe in the validity of your holy text/bible that that text should have to be upheld by people of other faiths?

For example, if you are Christian, and believe the Bible to be the unquestionable word of God, should someone who is Pagan, Atheist, Buddhist or any other Non-Christian be expected to live their life according to the Bible?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why I ask...

In an earlier post today someone stated that the only reason needed to disagree with Gay Marriage was the bible. But seeing how Christians (the ONLY group following the bible) only make up about 33% of the population, I didn't see why other reasons wouldn't be needed for the other 66%...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If you are a Christian--you are supposed to want others to follow the same faith. Your are supposed to witness to others and assist them to convert to the Christian faith. Islam has a similar belief.
    The belief is that yes, others should live like you do.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• islam does not have the same belief, it is already prophesied that very little people are pure as God would like. So to  expect people to live that way would be hypocritical and a waste of your time muslims are already told it wont happen.

To want good for a fellow being of course its nice gesture.  Wanting to force it on people would violate Islamic law.

Layh are you a secular muslim?

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• well let me just say i do find it annoying when people use the Bible as their argument for why they are right... if i don't follow the bible, you're not going to get anywhere trying to convince me that way. my faith is such that everyone gets to decide the religious path that is right for her... we respect each others' differing beliefs but in order to come to an agreement on something we must be able to find our common ground, which is not usually the bible.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I agree figaro, Muhammed even said that, "each has his own way", he meant thier own way to worship,to give thanks to God,to talk to him etc... heck everyone has different names for him too.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think for the most part religions agree on the basics. If you strip them down to their bare bones they all come down to being decent to each other, treating others as you would want to be treated. On that level then yes, I would love it if everyone followed a holy text. It's the little stuff and the stuff that's open to interpretation that leads to issues. If your book says not to eat meat or to wear pom-pom socks on a Friday or to wear earrings then it's wholly unreasonable to expect everyone to do that because it's really none of your business. Gay marriage definitely gets lumped in the pom-pom sock category.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 6:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• IraqiVetWife: or... different names for Her (or It or Them)

RhondaVeggie: One of my favorite things I heard some years ago about what all religions have in common: Don't hurt yourself. Don't hurt anyone else. I think if we could all try that it's a good start. Then add helping others (being of service is also very important in religion, at least in acknowledging that we are all connected...)
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• No I don't think others should have to follow teachings they don't believe in.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• This doesn't necessarily answer your question, but it does correct your stats and offer insight...76% of the US population identifies itself as "Christian". Laws are often times built on popular opinion. If a country is of Christian influence, then likely its laws will in some way reflect that.
    mommyheymommy

Answer by mommyheymommy at 7:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My "holy text" finds prayer for favors and things to be horrendously disrespectful. I consider someone insisting they're "praying for me" to be offensive, if and only if they are aware of that. Once I inform them of that, I do not expect them to stop praying for anyone. I do, however, expect them to have enough basic respect for others to stop praying on my behalf and attaching my name to their abominable act. I'm not about to stop telling people it offends me just because that is not a popular opinion. At the same time, I don't run around dragging them off to blots, either.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone is entitled to their belief, and to express that belief on their own behalf. The line is crossed when they force that belief on someone else (as in praying for me or stopping someone else from marrying). The line is not crossed when it's personal (praying for their own help or discussing their own marriage).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2010