For those who think smoking in a car should be banned, where would it end?

Yeah, I know that it's bad to smoke around kids. But where would the laws end? Would fried and fast food be banned for making kids fat and diabetic? Would it be against the law to take your kid out without sunscreen due to the skin cancer risk? Would you also ban everything but organic food since it's supposed to be healthier and make it so parents are breaking the law if they give their babies anything but breastmilk and their kids anything but water to drink? Where would the bans for kid's safety stop?
This is a serous question. I'm really wondering how far you would be willing to go.
Please forgive any typos, I'm on my phone and these letters are impossibly small.

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 6:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I've often wondered this myself. One of the beautiful things about being a parent is that YOU get to make the choices in your child's life. I don't have to agree with them - they are YOUR kids. I understand SOME child safely laws - beating your child with a shoe is without doubt abuse and should be illegal, but simply putting your child in a situation where they COULD BE at risk, is NOT abuse. It should be simple common sense that it's not a good thing to smoke in the car, let your kids ride without car seats, play around open outlets, drink nothing but soda or any number of other things that people do, but these things of and in themselves are NOT abuse and do NOT cause direct harm... Therefore it should be up to YOU as the parent whether or not your child does or experiences these things or not...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I agree, if we allow the government to keep regulating our private lives we won't have any control over it and then where would we be?
    DazeDelights

Answer by DazeDelights at 6:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• those laws are just to protect us from the morons. everyone knows it. like the next law you will see is the ban on texting while driving, to protect us from the morons that do that ... if everyone would just be more tollerant, we could let the morons kill themselves off faster!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It won't ever stop. There is always going to be someone out there complaining about something and trying to get something banned.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I live in California where it is illegal to smoke with your children in the car and I don't smoke and while I do agree with the law that applies to children I think if an adult is alone in her car and want's to smoke its no one else's business.
    jamesmommy512

Answer by jamesmommy512 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• That all said, I would like to add that I feel "parenting education" should be better. So many people don't understand that "Apple Drink" and "Apple Juice" aren't the same, or that Smoking in the basement still spreads the same chemicals in to your kids lungs as if you were sitting next to them. But this country has little to no education about how to raise healthy children... If we taught the basics at a younger age, or at least made an effort to teach basic healthcare for individuals we wouldn't have so many of the issues we have today.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i think that if i have to sit there and smell your stanky cigarette then it is my business, and i dont think it would be so bad to out law fried food, maybe its what people need. i think botton line take care of your self and be respectful of others
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 6:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I am not a smoker however I think it should be up to each individual if they want to smoke or not. I think they put enough rules and regulations on smoking. Not allowing you to smoke in your own car is going way too far. I think there are bigger issues and concerns then tracking down who is smoking in their own car.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• In CA it is illegal to smoke when you have children in your car.
    CrazedMomof2

Answer by CrazedMomof2 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think that smoking should be illegal. It pollutes the air that others have to breathe. It is major unhealthy and has no beneficial purpose. I had to leave a local movie in the park because of chain smokers recently because I have asthma and the smoke causes flair ups. Not fair. Neither was it fair that my kids had to breathe in that crap because someone chooses to have a filthy habit. Others' rights should not infringe upon mine!
    mommyheymommy

Answer by mommyheymommy at 7:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010