I am going to be on a really tight budget for the next couple months. I need some cheap ideas for yummy meals that don't make us feel like we are cutting back a whole lot. Maybe some cassaroles so ill have leftovers. Thank you ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I make a yummy casserole:

box of penne noodles cooked according to direction
    mix together jar of ragu + 1lb of ground beef browned
    mix 1 cup ricotta, 1 box of frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed so it's not wet), 1 egg, 1/2 cup parmesan, 1 cup mozzerella
    mix 1/2 your sauce mixture with your noodles
    put in a 13X9 dish that's been sprayed with nonstick spray
    spoon on the mixture of cheese stuff and spread out as best you can.
    top with remaining sauce
    top with another cup of mozerella

bake at 350 for about 30 minutes

serve with garlic bread and a salad if you want.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• The one thing that I've always made that gave us leftovers was Jambalaya rice. I just buy 2 boxes of the Zataran Jambalaya rice mix about $2 each box, 2 things of polish sausage, sliced (about $6 for 2) and 1 can of corn ($1.00) . You can follow the recipe on the box for the rice, add the sausage and put it in the oven to cook, once it's almost done drop in the corn, mix and continue to cook until rice is done. I really love this dish, I also use it for potlucks because it makes alot and it's filling. Sometimes I pair it with mash potatoes. Another dish I make for my kids, which is very, very simple is fried spaghetti, cook the spaghetti, in a frying pan mix in olive oil or butter, garlic powder, pepper and a pinch of salt and fry away momma! Top it with Parmesan cheese, my kids love this dish as well and it's really good and simple.

LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/9604
    this group has great recipes
    DazeDelights

Answer by DazeDelights at 6:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• hehe I do what LuvmyFam6 does but with Zatarans Dirty Rice & regular sausage & corn. :)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have been doing 1 large chicken breast on the BBQ and getting spinache leaves and romain lettuce seperately because it makes a lot more than whats in the pre-made bags. I add some frozen corn and french fried onions and if I have tomatoes I'll add them. Then we put a little bit of BBQ sauce and some ranch dressing. You have a BBQ Ranch Chicken Salad! Its sooo good!! I have a family of 4 and we usually get 3 salad meals out of the spinach and romain lettuce. I mix it up different salad ideas, like using tuna, tilapia or eggs instead of chicken. We add whatever veggies we have at the time. The BBQ Ranch one is just my favorite!
    AndysQueen

Answer by AndysQueen at 6:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You should make shepherds pie all you need is a pound of hamburger, potatos and a vegetable we make it with peas but you can also make it with corn or green beans start with the hamburger at the bottom add the peas and put the mashed potatos on top. you can add cheese if you want but it adds to it so whatever cheese you like bake it at three hundred for 45 minutes cook the hamburger first and make the mashed potatos it makes it easier. The whole dish costs 15 bucks with cheese. you have left overs for a couple days
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2010