Time for the spoon?

When is it time for babies to spoon-feed themselves? Is there a special spoon for this? I bought a fat baby spoon--looks like a soup spoon for a baby. It was labeled 10 months+. Any suggestions for how to make this transition? Food to try with the spoon?

JRB101009

Asked by JRB101009 at 6:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is 11 months and we are already working on helping her hold a spoon. She hates it and would rather eat with her fingers, lol. So for now I am backing off but will try it again in a month or so.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I've had 4 kiddos and when ever they grabbed for the spoon, I'd give it to them. Reguardless of their age. They might not make all the food in their mouths and there will be a big mess to clean up, but it will teach them how to feed themselves :) good luck momma!
    marriedmomto5

Answer by marriedmomto5 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• For my son, I just left a spoon on the side of his plate when he was around 11 months. I would eat next to him, he soon got curious because he saw me using a spoon, and would get it and try to eat with the spoon. Now he's getting the hang of it and now uses a fork too. He uses the Gerber spoons/forks and the First Years Take and Toss spoons and forks.
    ixadorexpink

Answer by ixadorexpink at 6:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Good info ladies! How about when to start using bowls and plates? Because right now I just put food on his highchair tray. He eats with his hands and doesn't seem at all interested in spoons/forks. He's 12 months.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I used to give them icecream, applesauce, yogurt with a spoon.
    As for the bowls and plates, when they see big kids and adults using them, they want to also. It helps if you get plates with their favorite characters on them -- my kids had Barney and Blue's Clues. I had these great bowls, I think they're called sippy bowls, that have a straw in the side for soup or cereal milk.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• we started giving my lil girl the spoon to play with and then we began to feed her with it, it went smoothly...and now its her fav teethin toy too
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• let them guide you. give it to them and practice
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 11:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Starting around 8 mo. just start giving them a spoon of their own with meals. It can just be a toy for awhile and when they're ready, they'll start trying to use it. Yogurt covered cheerios is a GREAT first spoon food. The yogurt makes the cheerios stick to the spoon so the food doesn't fall off as easily plus it tastes yummy and is a great incentive.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• bowls with the suction cup on the bottom are WONDERFUL. Use them as early as you like.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I started giving my son a spoon when he was around 7 months but started encouraging him to feed himself from a bowl or plate using the spoon when he was 9 months. He still isn't good at it but he enjoys doing it by himself. A small warning though once you go independent its hard to go back.
    KristeenieB

Answer by KristeenieB at 11:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010