Anyone have a late walker? Help, please!

My son is 18 months old and isn't walking yet. He did crawl at 10 months old and was a preemie (his adjusted age would be 17 months). He cruises around furniture but still hasn't gotten the hang of standing up on his own (he stands for a few seconds and sits back down). The pedi referred us to go to therapy. But it's still not guaranteed that he will get therapy since they told me he needs to be evaluated first. Does anyone have a late walker (around my son's age)? Did anyone's son/daughter have to go to therapy in order for them to walk? Is there anything I can do to help my son walk? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my twins they were premmies also walked at 19 months
    butterflysmom

Answer by butterflysmom at 6:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Not to worry. It's because he was a preemie. He will catch up. My niece was born at 31 weeks and she didn't walk until 21 months. Now she is 14, in all honor classes and a cheerleader. I think she totally caught up by the time she was 3. Good luck and try not to worry!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• my niece walked late too, she's got no problems now!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would get him evaluated, it can never hurt. And if he needs the therapy after the evaluation, it will be available instead of waiting until it might be a problem. Who knows, you might be able to cancel the appointment since he is trying to stand on his own.

My youngest was a late walker, 17 months (his older sibs started at 13 and 9.5 months.) Mine was too busy talking to bother with walking and was a late crawler as well. However, it took him no time at all to go from a wobbly walk to full on running.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My daughter wasn't a preemie, but she didn't walk until just after 18 months. She cruised along furniture forever, but wouldn't walk. Then she just stood up one day and took off walking the next. I think if he's average in all other areas, I wouldn't worry about it.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My 2nd child walked at 16 months. She had hip dysplasia tho. It couldn't hurt to have your son evaluated. Go from there but I bet he will be walking very soon...

Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 7:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son took his first steps a few days before his second birthday. He and his twin sister were born at 32 weeks, she walked when she was a year old. We're not sure exactly why he didn't walk at the right time, but he was diagnosed with cancer when he was 10 months old, so it's been attributed to that. He did have speech and physical therapy though.
    Eris822

Answer by Eris822 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2010