Fleas???

I have 3 cats (that I am trying desperately to get rid of without sending them to the pound to be killed) and one of them escaped and brought back a bunch of fleas. They are attacking my oldest and have grown everywhere!!! Anyone know how to get rid of them without calling an exterminator????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Get Flea bombs to set in your house. Vacuum everything 1st then bomb it. Make sure all pets are gone otherwise it more then likely won't help. After you bomb it vacuum everything again. We had to get rid of all our carpet a long time ago to get rid of them. Now we have tile.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• you can fog the crud out of your home. you'll have to remove all the cats to do this, but it'll get rid of them. Fleas are so hard to get rid of and i am so sorry that you are going through that, fleas just suck.
    The Off with deet works well to keep them off of the kids although it does have a lot of chemicals so be careful. We had fleas in our old house, they came back every year and they hurt when they bite!!
    marriedmomto5

Answer by marriedmomto5 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• First off they all need a flea bath then you need to get something like frontline for them..... next step would be to get something from your local vet...I did from mine she sold me an excellent spray for around the house.....do all these things and you should be fine.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 6:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Oh and if you rent the place, look up the tenants rights for your area. The owner may be required to pay someone to spray your place.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• ok I got the spray out...its called SIphotrol Plus II Premise spray...works wonderful. This I bought from my vet
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 6:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If you use the flea bombs (canisters that you set off in the house)...here is what I recommend.
    Use 2 different brands. And also set on up in everyroom, except the kitchen and bathroom (it will travel). Using 2 different ones works a lot better than just one brand. (we went through this last year). Don't forget to set them in the basement, too.

You can get them at any pet supply store.
    You have to be gone for the day, though, and put the cats somewhere they aren't going to be around it, outside, a garage...
    And get some flea treatment for the kitties...pet supply store, again. Advantage or Advantix, I forget, but it's about $50 for 4 doses, and it's good for a month. I kills them within 12 hours. WORKS WONDERS. Use it when you set the bombs off, and you'll come home to a flea free house...leave the kitties somewhere over night, so that all the fleas they have a killed before you bring them back in...
    Ezranight

Answer by Ezranight at 6:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Dang this...no edit option.... sorry I spelled it wrong...S i photrol
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 6:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I'm sorry for you. We had a cat that brought fleas in and we lived in a two flat . The first floor family and us were eaten up soo bad. No one could tell us how to get rid of them, but they told us to use benadryl ointment for the bites and benadryl pills for the itching and scars. We were miserable, but all the scars and bumps went away, but i'm not sure what happened with the fleas. They just went away after a week and we got rid of the cat. Good luck with finding a solution.
    mrs2323

Answer by mrs2323 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Frontline!
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:41 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Treat your cats with frontline, it works great. For carpets, sprinkle with Borax (found in the laundry aisle) and let set for about 15 minutes. Vacuum up and place your vacuum outside incase any were knocked out instead of killed.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:24 AM on Jul. 13, 2010