question may be out of date but..................

remember those brown strips that came with your pictures back when film was used?

did you treat them like gold, or did you cut them?

I used to work in a lab and I'll never forget the day a woman came in with a big stack of envelopes. i could tell she wanted reprints (new prints made from negatives) and was about to let her know that it would take us longer than the usual time to do them since we had a lot of work that day.
then she dropped the bomb......
"I even took the time to cut them all up for you!"
if someone brought in negatives that were less than 3 images long we had to disassemble the machine and it took forever! that and the quality wasn't as good.
we told her in the nicest way possible cut negatives order took days.

her friend came in later upset that we were 'punishing her for trying to help us' by making her wait.
the wait because of a mechanical issue-
oh were good intentions can leave us.....

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Why would she think cutting up the negatives would be helpful? I don't get. Obviously pictures were made from the negatives when the photos were first developed, so whatever size the strips were was the size they needed to be to make the pictures from them. Why woudl they need to be a different size to make more pictures from them? Some people just aren't too bright.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I never cut negatives. I have them in a box with old photos to this day, but it has been a long time since I have used a film camera.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I never, ever cut my negatives!

It never even occurred to me to do that.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• oh love the days beofre tech stuff!! haha your post made me smile :) thank you
    marriedmomto5

Answer by marriedmomto5 at 6:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't think I even saved them, lol...oops...
    Ezranight

Answer by Ezranight at 6:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• thought it may make some people smile :)
    I did feel bad because that woman start bawling that she was 'just trying to help!'

well, we never TOLD her to cut the negs did we? I always wondered why people thought that was a good idea............

ItsMe89

Comment by ItsMe89 (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I never cut them
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 6:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• The only time I wou cut up negatives was when an ex boyfriend was in them. I'm sure it was the same problem with your customer. You know, I worked retail and it was usually the people who were up to no good who became "upset".
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 6:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i never cut them. i came across some from my dads childhood and had them developed, they were priceless pics of him and my uncles!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• the woman went on and on that she thought you were supposed to cut them- that we would have to cut them up, so she was saving us a step my cutting them up first. stood there telling me this will the proudest look you've ever seen.

pretty sure she wasn't cutting out a old boyfriend-
    that would have been a better reason for it all though!

I never understood why people thought it would be a good idea to cut them-
    when I was a kid if I even TOUCHED the negs I would get in trouble BIG time......
    no clue why she thought she'd get a gold star for it!
    ItsMe89

Comment by ItsMe89 (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010