Anyone ever put their child through speech therapy?

My 2 yr old DD is going to be going through this program...and they are coming to my house a few times a month....Any ideas what I could expect?

omima

Asked by omima at 6:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is it ECI or actual speech Therapy? If it is ECI, it did nothing for my son. If it is actual speech therapy, it worked great. He still has trouble but he will continue to get speech therapy in Kindergarten.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Our therapist came to the house for the first year... she was wonderful. She would sit and work with our son right in the living room where I could sit in and see what was going on and she would explain to me what needed worked on and how to do it... He is still in therapy, but it's no longer at the house, it's still been a great program though...

My biggest tip is to pay attention to what they are doing and how she is working with your child. Sometimes it's the little things that do the most and get overlooked the easiest!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• And just as a note - out first therapist was through EIC... The one we see now is through a Children's Rehab program. He grew out of the EIC program when he turned 3.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My oldest son had someone come to the house from 2.5 until 3. After 3 he had to go to a local school. I wish I remembered more of what they actually did, it was quite a while ago. He had some form of speech therapy from 2.5 until he turned 6. At 12, you would never know and he speaks well in 2 languages.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Both of our children have autism which PRIMARILY affects their conversational speech--they didn't speak until they were 4 years old, and now at ages 6 and 8 I can't get them to stop talking! LOL :o)

We had a GREAT Early Childhood Intervention speech therapist who came to our home once a week for a total of 3 years--1 year for my older son, who was diagnosed just after turning 2, and because we recognized the signs, my younger son got two years of services.

The therapist taught me and my sons sign language, how to encourage speech development, picture exchange systems (PECS) for every aspect of our daily lives--from brushing teeth, toileting, getting dressed, going out in the community, social stories, etc. She was such a great resource that we continued privately (paying out of pocket--she had her own private practice) with her for 2 additional years after they turned 3, and until they were in Kindergarten.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Both of my twins received early intervention services for speech. We loved them and they loved the kids. They did fun things like blowing bubbles and making motorboat noises to help them with the shape of their mouths when they talked. They played with these cute little magnetic play sets... the kids could put the magnet on if they could say what it was. They learned their body parts. It was pretty much all play. We were really sad when they were all done, but by the time we aged out, they didn't need the therapy anymore anyway.
    Eris822

Answer by Eris822 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• my son is in speech therapy....but it is at the health department....the way my sons teacher does it is she makes it all like games for him....she works with his sounds and plays with toys..bubble play dough...ect...while talking with him....we are currently working on the "p" sound....he mixes it up with the "b" sound....he is 3 and is thought to have verbal apraxia...
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 7:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We went to them at the Public School. They had a Preparatory Pre-School program for children with developmental delays. It was EVERY day from 9 - 12 AM. They also provided a motor skills development program for our DD. Even though she didn't talk on schedule, she began reading WAY AHEAD of schedule (at 3y8m) and was tested and placed OUT of kindergarten and INTO first grade. She is now an Honor Student and will be entering 8th grade in the fall as the YOUNGEST in her class. She was 12 on February. (This is just as well since she is the second TALLEST child in her class. Only 1 child taller and HE is 1 year BEHIND in school. He will be 14 in November 2010. She will be 13 in February 2011.)
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 7:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Wow thanks everyone for responding. Yes DD is going through EIC because she is not so delayed in her speech that she needs full blown speech therapy. But again thank you all. Very helpful!
    omima

Comment by omima (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have been looking into it for my 2 1/2yr old she talks a lot, but has issues with a few sounds, and no matter how much I work with her, it isn't helping. Hope it goes well!!! I think it's great they offer the programs!
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2010