Do you know someone that is always trying to "one up ya"?

Its a little irritating,lol. But every time I post something on facebook or I am just talking about something in general..this chicadee always seems to have an answer for a question I've never asked and she always has something to say to where it seems like shes trying to "one up me" lol.
I don't know why she does this. She is a lot younger than me, over 10 years give or take a few. Shes a daughter of an old family friend of ours that I've known scince I was like 5.
I don't know why it irritates me, but it does, LOL.
Maybe I'm just hot and my pregnant hormones are getting to me, I don't know.

Anyway....do you know anyone like that?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 6:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• yes i know some one like that. if i say i went somewhere they would say they went somwhere similar but better. there are times when i walk into their house and it feels like i am in my own(decor and colour) but we live a few miles awy from each other.
    'oh thats a nice lamp' 'oh we have that ages'
    eh no you dont, u didnt have it last time was here
    shell394

Answer by shell394 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• ya, my SIL. they just came to visit and now that i'm pregnant she is telling everyone that her and her (dead beat p.o.s.) boyfriend are going to try for another baby (even though they dont take care of the one they have).
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I've known several people like this. I was married to one. No matter how tired I was after being up with the baby all night and then being with the baby all day while he was at work, he was MORE tired. No matter how bad of a cold I got, his was worse.

It IS frustrating. It bothered me pregnant and hormonal or not.

I eventually stopped responding with anything other than "Ok, you win." and then I'd move on. Lol.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes, I can't stand her!
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 7:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• maybe it's not you personally, maybe she just has a lot to say.
    I've got a family member that used to send me threatening emails claiming that I was badmouthing her in my blogs.
    when in fact they had nothing to do with her.

I'd just let it go as much as possible.
    if she's trying to one up you then pity that she feels like that-
    must be terrible to keep trying to one up someone. it would drive me nuts!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• yeah..my step mom and step sis
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• this reminds me of something- my mom can be like that- if you've got a problem, she's got one worse.
    When I lived at home I wanted to hit the shower, she wanted to get in first.
    'I really need a shower mom'
    'trust me, I need one worse man, I'm REALLY bad.................!
    'OK, I give up! you stink!''

you should have seen the 'well, got no one to blame but myself' look on her face!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes, and we go through riffs where we don't talk for a bit then she wants to be buds again and then cancels on me at the last second EVERY damn time. We started losing weight together and she turned it into a competition and I wanted no part of that. I stopped going to the gym with her and started enjoying going solo. She started recruiting others to go with her and she would ask me how much I'm losing, etc. I hated that crap.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 8:36 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Yes! Several of my in-laws do this, and it is extremely frustrating!

My second-oldest brother-in-law tries to one-up his siblings career-wise. He is constantly applying for interesting, exciting jobs and/or college degree programs, although he never gets hired/accepted and even when he does, he doesn't follow through (example: he was accepted to a prestigious law school and decided not to go).

My youngest sister-in-law tries to one-up everybody else, family-wise. When her sister bought a used minivan, she bought a brand-new SUV. When my husband and I eloped to Niagara Falls, she eloped the next year to Vegas. In fact, when my husband spent his precious (15 minutes a week) phone minutes to call his father from Iraq to announce that we were pregnant, my sister-in-law immediately told her dad, "Hey! I'm pregnant too, I just didn't tell anyone yet!" (And no, she wasn't - she just had to one-up us. GRRR!)
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 8:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2010