Side dishes

What kind of veggie side dishes can I make that are hearty yet good with money?

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 7:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Pinto Beans
    Broccoli Rice Casserole
    Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
    Baked or Fried Squash/Zucchini
    Sweet Potato Casserole

I'm so hungry now! lol
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Most of the time I just steam veggies and have them they way they are.

One thing I used to do (and really should do again) is I would cut up a bunch of veggies into thin(ish) slices and layer them in a casserole dish. Potatoes, carrots, onions, corn, I would layer them up to the top and then dump a can of cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup over the top and bake it in the oven. It was so freakin' tasty.

There's always stir fry, double stuffed potatoes, glazed carrots, broccoli and cheese sauce, etc...
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If you are looking on saving, but serving healthy, try buying large bags of frozen veggies...
    mix together some of ea of the veggies... good mixed are:
    corn with anything
    corn and green bean (French style) with mushrooms slightly stir fried in either a butter or a granola oil...with
    a pinch of garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley...
    your own homemade garlic or extra creamy mashed potatoes... making your potatoes as usual, but add garlic salt and parsley
    to it or extra butter and milk for creamy...
    Cut in half the baby carrots and stir fry or steam with with broccoli and cheese...or just butter...
    Broccoli and mushrooms is another good one...

You can mix up your veggies any way you want and most often (if you are big veggie fans) will not repeat the same dish
    in a week...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• right now yellow squash is in season and cheap.We love it spread with a bit of pesto before grilling,sauteing or roasting.Also make a quick stir fry of any frozen veggies is yummy.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 8:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Start with frozen vegetables; they often cost less then fresh and retain their nutrition longer. My family will eat anything with peanut sauce. Sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients; sweet potato pudding is an awesome dessert; sweet potato and black bean burritos are inexpensive and incredibly healthy. Stuffed peppers (with beans and quinoa or brown rice) are another great option. You can always make a big bowl of mixed lettuces (Target has a really inexpensive, organic one) with shredded carrots and your favorite dressing. Sugar snap peas are always a big hit.

Send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2010